1 of 2
Sicilian Pistachio Cake
Posted: 11 March 2010 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I was going to wait until Monday and post this with the other bake off cakes, but I made this tonight and decided I couldn’t wait to share, so I’ll just add a link back here to Marie’s posting. The crumb of this cake is extremely soft, tender, and delicate.

Posted: 11 March 2010 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Ooooo, Matthew, it is gorgeous!  You must have spent some time on the pistachios, they are perfectly cut and dust-free, just beautiful. 

Somehow I wasn’t expecting the interior of the cake to be green, so glad you posted the picture of the slice. 

So, were the pistachios noticeably tastier than the California variety?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 11 March 2010 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

Matthew, once again I must say omg. What wonderful pictures. More importantly, how did it taste? Was it worth all of the time and expense? I am a huge fan of pistachio. Beth

Posted: 11 March 2010 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Matthew,  Beautiful cake! Could you give your tip, as to how you apply the nuts to the sides of your buttercream without messing up the icing? Yours looks picture perfect.

Posted: 11 March 2010 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

That is beautiful!! Very impressive… again.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 March 2010 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2008-01-21

That is gorgeous perfection! I think I know what I will be requesting for my birthday cake this year! wink

There is another pistachio cake recipe I have been wanting to try. It is baked in a loaf pan and has a thick topping of sugared pistachios mixed with citrus zest. One of the Italian restaurants in town serves it, and it is heavenly served warm.

Posted: 11 March 2010 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you everyone! To answer questions:

1. I bought the pistachios already slivered, but I did shake them in a sieve to remove the dust

2. The flavor does seem stronger, but to me, it seemed more like a stronger nut flavor (like a roasted, nutty flavor) rather than an over-the-top pistachio flavor (although I think a lot of what we think of as “pistachio” flavor is actually almond extract). Don’t know if that makes sense. What I really like about them is the beautiful emerald color.

3. It is delicious and actually pretty easy to make, doesn’t take long. The pistachios were a fun splurge.

4. I think I pretty much followed what is written in the cake bible regarding applying nuts, although I haven’t read that part in a while. You need the cake on a cake board, and a sheet of paper on the counter, hold the cake at a slight angle close to the paper and toss the nuts up on the sides. They will grab onto the buttercream, which I chilled slightly to hold its shape, but not too much so that it will still be sticky.

I will also add that I used a combination of frangelico and amaretto in the buttercream instead of pistachio essence. I think it flavored the buttercream nicely.

Posted: 11 March 2010 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

astonishing, as the picture of the book.  where did you buy your already slivered beautiful perfect green pistachios from?  i think it is worth the spurge.

/H

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 11 March 2010 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks, they’re from Kalustyan’s.

Posted: 11 March 2010 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

thx for the resource tip.  btw, your photography isn’t very artistic, but it is spectacularly clear and inviting, book picture perfect.  this may well be the first cake where i don’t go nuts with mac nuts!

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2010 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I understand what you mean about being artistic as I don’t care to use props or unusual camera angles. I guess it is just my own personal style—somewhat minimalist in that I like simple, straightforward, with focus on the food.

Posted: 11 March 2010 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Gorgeous cake! Thank you for the tip about using amaretto and frangelico in the buttercream. I am so eager to try it. Frangelico and amaretto are so delicious.

Posted: 11 March 2010 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

there is definitely a niche for your photography style, good job again.

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2010 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

I haven’t gone back to compare these pics with those of the carrot cake (my first OMG). I find these to be utterly breathtaking - one is drawn into the subject in the most compelling way. I find them artistic in that they allow the subject to speak to me.

Posted: 11 March 2010 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Beautiful cake Matthew - book perfection! It’s interesting to read your conversation with Hector about artistic. I think what’s great about your minimalist style of photography is that there is nothing else to distract the viewers from the cake.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 March 2010 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Matthew, your cake looks wonderfully delicious.  I always get inspired when I look on the show and tell threads.  I like your style of photography.  I personally couldn’t care if there are props or special lighting in the photograph.  If the cake looks as a good as this one does, who cares.

1 of 2