La Cloche and Italian Covered bakers
Posted: 16 February 2008 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2008-01-14

This last week I finally received the 2 covered bakers so I can continue working my way through the BB.  I do have a few questions:

1. I do not have the octagon-shaped Silpain that Rose recommends.  Sprinkling the bottom of the bakers with cornmeal or flour is suggested as an alternative.  Do I need to heavily or lightly apply cornmeal?

2. The manufacturer recommends seasoning the base of the baker with oil.  Is this a one-time thing or do I season after each use?

3. In the BB Rose recommends using the covered bakers in specific recipes.  Can I also use it with, for example, the Basic Hearth bread or the Heart of Wheat…or other recipes that call for a free-form round or rectangular loaf?

Thanks in advance!

Posted: 17 February 2008 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2008-01-14

Thanks, Matthew!

Posted: 25 March 2009 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-04-10

I, too, just received my la cloche and baked the olive bread from the BB in it, was disappointed because the crust was not shatteringly crisp the way I expected it to be. I baked it just like the instructions: 450 degrees preheated with dome on for 10 minutes, 400 degrees for 5 minutes covered, and finally 15 minutes uncovered. The crust started off crisp, but then got soft. Does anybody have any ideas as to what to do? I really want a crust like you get in breads from a bakery.

Posted: 21 June 2009 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-04-10

Thanks Matthew, I’m going to try exactly what you’ve said here next time I make the hearth bread. How long does your crackly crunchy crust last?