RHC Devil’s Food Cupcakes
Posted: 14 March 2010 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve been wanting to try this cake ever since RHC first came out, so when the call for chocolate cupcakes came, I couldn’t resist trying this version.  I was somewhat pressed for time, so I was not able to bake them one pan at a time, or to stop piping the ganache after the first one to whip or chill it.  So they aren’t my prettiest, but I thought it might be helpful to post notes. 

Hopefully you can tell from these pictures how dark and shiny this ganache is, it’s really beautiful.  My batch was a little soft for piping, but I can see how it would be a perfect consistency for the presentation in the book. 

I thought the cake was going to end up tasting similar to the Cake Bible’s choc fudge, but it’s different, less bittersweet.  Beautiful soft, fine texture.  I made these according to the method given in the outcakes for this cake.  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2009/11/devils_food_cake_on_page_99_of.html#more  The recipe made 26 cupcakes.

Somehow I was thinking that both the cake and the ganache might be too strong/bitter, but it was not the case at all, these are chocolate-y but not overly intense.

My favorite part of this recipe was the brandied cherries.  I first made them over a month ago and have made several more batches since.  They are great with vanilla ice cream as well as anything chocolate.  They peak about a week after being made, but stay good for at least two weeks, probably longer but I wouldn’t know as I haven’t had any last that long.

Image Attachments
devil's food cupcake.jpgbrandied cherries.jpgdevil's food cupcakes.jpg
 Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 15 March 2010 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Julie, those cupcakes look super yummy!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 March 2010 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Your cupcakes really look beautiful and inviting. Brandied cherries with chocolate ... mmm yum.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 15 March 2010 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

They look beautiful Julie. I can see how shiny the ganache is. I love brandied cherries as well, have made it a couple of times with the Black Forrest Cake. Will have to try it with homemade vanilla ice cream - when it gets warmer here smile.
Thank you for the tasting note as well. I can’t wait to try this one!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 March 2010 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Very pretty Julie! I like the brandied burgundy cherries, but personally, I found these to be too strong. Maybe I didn’t let them ripen long enough, or maybe I’m just a wimp, but I felt like I was breathing fire when I ate them! If I do them again, I need to cut the cognac with something or use a different liqueur.

Posted: 15 March 2010 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Matthew, I followed Rose’s recipe to a T the 1st time I made the brandied cherries, found them wayyyy to strong too. I believe the recipe from TCB calls for 1 cup of brandy! The 2nd time I made it, I use about 1/3 of the cup and it was about right for me. Just FYI smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 March 2010 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

These look delicious, Julie.  Did you lay the cherries on top of the cup cakes after they came out of the oven and then spread the ganache on top?  I bet the tartness of the cherries were a great contrast with the chocolate.

Posted: 15 March 2010 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Rozanne, Kathleen and Jenn, thanks so much for the kind words! The cupcakes were very well-received, one person emailed me when she got home that evening to say how much she enjoyed them. 

Matthew and Jenn, I also found them too strong until at least day three.  Better after a couple of weeks.  And when straining one batch to use them, I kept the brandy syrup to use for the next batch, just topped it off with a little more brandy and syrup, so subsequent batches were more mellow from the start.  These also mellowed further after sitting in the ganache overnight, the cupcake I had the next day seemed more blended.

Annie, yes, that’s exactly how I did it.  This ganache was soft enough to sort of flow in between the cherries and hold them down.  Originally, my thought had been to spread a very thin layer of ganache first, then cherries, then top with a piped swirl, but in the end this was what I had time to do.  I did love the combined flavors of dark chocolate, caramelized sugar, brandy and cherries, perfect for me.

Signature 

Posted: 16 March 2010 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Look at all those beautiful cupcakes smile.  I really like the way you piped the ganache on top of the cherries.  Very appetizing!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 March 2010 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Absoultely beautiful.  Great job.

Posted: 17 March 2010 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks so much, Patrincia and Bill!

Signature 

Posted: 09 April 2011 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

When you let the brandied cherries mellow, does that mean to just let them soak longer in the brandy, or to drain them and add the Lyle’s and then let them sit for a several days?  In other words, is it the cherries in brandy that mellow, or is it the brandied cherries in syrup that you leave to mellow?

Thanks!!

—ak

Posted: 10 April 2011 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Either way, once you pour the brandy out and let it sit, it will mellow.  If you’re trying to keep the cherries from being too boozy, then let them mellow after draining and adding the Lyle’s.

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2011 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Many thanks, Julie!  I ended up soaking the cherries for about 28 hours then draining—they are marvelous—and adding Lyles.  Waiting a few days before trying with the Lyles.  Thank you so much for all your help on this!

‹‹ Sicilian Pistachio Cake      My 7-layer cake ››