Using 14”, 10”, and 6” by 3” Cake Pans! Need help with Rose’s butter cake recipes!
Posted: 17 March 2010 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-03-17

I’m planning on making a wedding cake using 3” deep cake pans, but all of the butter cake recipes in The Cake Bible use 2” pans. I’m not sure how to adjust the recipes. Can I just use more batter to fill the pans 2/3 full? But what about the baking powder amounts? How are those affected? Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Kaylin

Posted: 17 March 2010 01:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Hope this won’t sound too negative, but Rose says that her recipes don’t work well in 3’’ pans, and I can attest from personal experience with the 6x3 that they don’t bake evenly and the texture suffers (plus they take forever to bake). Were you planning on just baking one of each and then splitting the layers? I would suggest you use the 2’’ as written, unless you already have the pans. In that case, you might want to look elsewhere for recipes designed for 3 inch pans—they are out there—or be willing to experiment. Maybe you could do a small test and see what you think—I wasn’t happy with the result myself.

Posted: 17 March 2010 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Don’t do the 3” pans…I tried once, early on,  not good.

Posted: 20 March 2010 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-03-17

Thanks for your advice! I do already have the 3” pans, but I don’t want to mess around with any other recipes. So I guess I will just buy some new pans!