12 layer cake flop
Posted: 19 March 2010 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-02-28

I wish I could post this in the show and tell forum, but…I’m afraid not. LOL! So, I made the old school 12 layer cake with caramel frosting yesterday. 6 sticks of butter later (!) and all I can say is ‘yuck’!  I used previous links for both the cake recipe and the cooked caramel frosting.  It was just too rich and waaay too sweet.  The cake layers were kind of rubbery and the frosting too sweet for my taste and probably not suited for this use.  I did learn somethings though. The idea of using 12 aluminum baking pans to cook individual layers was great and lining the pans with parchment was the way to go. Also, I think any cake of this kind requires a kind of soupy frosting that will harden as it cools. The caramel frosting was that way as you put it on hot, but I think just too sweet for the quantity needed to do 12 layers. I did get a wow factor when slicing at the site of all those perfectly layered cakes, but then the frosting ‘wept’ over night and all the layers are just soaked through with caramel juice. ugh!

I don’t feel defeated, though. It just makes me want to try again. Too bad my husband’s birthday only comes one time a year! Maybe there will be a good old fashioned family reunion soon and I can find an old grandma with the secret to this mysterious cake. Thanks to all who gave input into the effort. I’ll let you know if I make another go of it.

Posted: 20 March 2010 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I’m so sorry your cake didn’t turn out as you had planned. I think we have all been there and it can be quite frustrating.  But you’ve got the right attitude.  Just jump back on the horse.  Have you tried any of Rose’s recipes?  The ones that I have tried turned out beautifully.  What did you end up doing for your husband’s birthday cake?

Posted: 24 March 2010 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Keep at it.  I’ve had countless disasters…they always make for great stories.

Posted: 24 March 2010 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Oh, too bad!

I’ve looked at some of those recipes and they just seem to need a good basic yellow butter cake recipe. If you have a favorite already, why not try it?

I agree that the recipes seem to need a “pourable” frosting. Maybe you need to find a better frosting recipe. Can’t help there, sorry. Let us know if you find anything that works! Good luck!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara