caramel crystalizes
Posted: 29 March 2010 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-12-03

I’ve been trying to make rose’s carmel ganache, but the carmel part keeps crystalizing. I’m using a copper bottom aluminum pan and a regular spoon and each time I go back and reread her tips on successful caramel but 10 mins. into it starts to crystalize. It’s 3/4 c. sugar and 3 tbsp. water. I stir constantly until it starts to bubble then stop. Any suggestions?  Ginny

Posted: 29 March 2010 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Try adding a bit of corn syrup—should help to keep it from crystallizing. The amount of water is not important, so if you feel you need more to dissolve the sugar, add some. If you start with more water, it just adds to the time it takes to caramelize, but won’t change the final product. I only stir just until the sugar dissolves, and then you can just swirl the pan after that—I find excessive stirring causes crystallization, especially if you pull the spoon out of the pan and then put it back in without rinsing.

Posted: 29 March 2010 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

You only want to stir until the sugar is dissolved, meaning the mixture is hot, but not simmering. Once the sugar is dissolved, you put a tight lid on the pot for 3 minutes. This creates steam which washes down any lingering sugar crystals. After 3 minutes, take the lid off and leave it to cook undisturbed until it begins to turn amber in color, at which point you swirl the pan around to finish cooking the caramel evenly.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 March 2010 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, I use Roxannne’s method exactly, it works well for me.  But I’ve also found that crystallized sugar syrup will smooth out as it reaches caramel temps, so all is not lost if you need caramel.  But if you need a hard crack syrup (or similar), you’ll have to start over.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour