1 of 2
heart tasty fill shaped pan from Wilton
Posted: 30 March 2010 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2009-11-23

Hi, I haven’t been posting much lately, I’m loosing my job at 50, so I’m quite depressed and not in the right mood, even cakes I baked lately reflect this bad mood (did not come out quite right….), anyway I’d like to have advice from you concerning which Rose’s cake recipe would be suitable for this pan, both for the batter and the filling. I’d like to bake a cake for Easter, maybe berry themed, but I’m a bit confused, any input will be highly appreciated, thanks!

Posted: 30 March 2010 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Maghina, I’m SO sorry you are losing your job.  I know it’s such a difficult time for you and I send you my BEST wishes.  Maybe you could start a cake baking business?  I’m sorry I have no idea which pan you are talking about but someone else will probably chime in.

Posted: 30 March 2010 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

Yes, I’m pondering a lot on what to do next. I’ve also been thinking about a cake business, or soap making, but I’m a bit afraid because of the costs to set up a business. I’m also paying for my home right now so don’t have much spare money…... :( I also have been oil painting, and maybe that is the path to take…..... I still have 10 years before being able to retire, so….....oh well….......
I enclose a picture of the pan so that everybody may see what I mean.
Thank you for your kindness, Annie!

Image Attachments
heart-cake-pan.jpg

Posted: 30 March 2010 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Maghina, you’re not alone, so many jobs are being cut in these difficult economic times.  Feel free to check in whenever you need some encouragement.

As for the cake pan, I hadn’t seen that before, how pretty.  If it were me, I’d think about a chocolate cake with raspberry or strawberry cloud cream for the heart filling.  Mousseline or whipped cream for the outside would give a similar appearance to the picture, and be nice now that we’re headed towards Spring.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 30 March 2010 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Maghina, that’s horrible news. I’m so sorry to hear this and I’m sending LOTS of good wishes your way.

Check out this link. It may be helpful.
http://bakingbites.com/2010/02/deep-chocolate-cake-with-a-raspberry-mousse-heart/#more-4251

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 30 March 2010 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Maghina, so sorry to hear about your job. I am sending lots of good wishes as well and hope you will find/figure things out soon.
I have never seen the pan also, how interesting. Looks like you are in good hands as others have given great suggestions!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 30 March 2010 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

Thank you friends for your support! smile
I just wanted to start a thread here because I just need to talk, but it seems there’s no “off topic” forum…......
Anyway, I just feel so confused, all things that seemed “certain” became suddenly so weak and I don’t know what to do with my life….. I’m not married nor have children, a great regret, and now the job…......I know I can do many things with my hands, but when it comes to action I just keep still, as my lack of self confidence keeps telling me “You won’t make it….”
I know that talking about it won’t solve any of my probs, but maybe some virtual support may help…......

Rozanne, thanks a lot for the recipe, prob is weight conversion can I compare 1 cup flour in the recipe with ! cup flour in one of Rose’s? Have to convert everything in grams….... big surprise

Posted: 30 March 2010 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24

Maghina

I am so sorry to hear the news of this major life change for you.  Looking for a job in this economy is so much different than 10 years ago.  And, being 52, I know it is very diffferent at this age.  I wish I give tell you how to approach it.  I only know it is my faith that has sustained me mentally and emotionally after being laid off.  It is so good you are thinking of what you have in your heart and hands that you may use to turn this setback into something positive.  It is a new beginning but for what??!!!! Hmmm….praying for you.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 31 March 2010 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

That’s tough about your job, Maghina. My heart goes out to you. I also want to encourage you. After grieving the loss - very necessary - pick something you love and go for it. It’s tough at 50, but even tougher the longer you wait. You’ve got at least 15 years of productivity ahead in waged work - more if you want them. The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll find your way.

About the pan, others may have different experience. Please chime in, if you do. I have a mini-version of a pan like that given to me as a gift, and it’s going to a charity. Wilton calls it Tasty-Fill. I call it useless. The amount of time you have to bake the cake in order to have the taller part done is too much for the shorter area. That part gets overdone and nasty. Enough wet filling helps to disguise the problem, but I’d rather fill a cake that’s done just right everywhere. Maybe it works with cakes from a commercial mix, but it sure didn’t work for me with one of Rose’s scratch recipes.

Posted: 31 March 2010 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

Thank you Carolita for the advice! I think I’ll give it a try, as it was not so cheap to import to Italy, and I hate wasting money…........I think I’ll try the recipe Rozanne suggested, and will let you know the outcome! As a matter of fact I was tempted to try the double chocolate valentine (But don’t have a heart shaped pan) or the almond shamah that looks more spring-y…...

Thanks also for the support, I really hope to find my way soon, as right now I feel sort of “frozen”.
In Italy we have a saying that when a door closes, a gate opens. Let’s hope so…...........

Posted: 01 April 2010 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Maghina:
Sending you a private message.  Check your mailbox.

Posted: 03 April 2010 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

So I decided to go for the almond shamah….Question, urgent answers pls as I’m going to make it in a few hours, I have 2 9x2 inch pans but my oven isn’t big enough to bake the 2 cakes together. Can I just put all the batter in 1 and then cut the layers or can I bake 1 and in the meantime put the other pain in the fridge?

Posted: 03 April 2010 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

M. not sure if this is in time, but hopefully.

-The best way is to make half a batch and bake one pan, then make the second batch and bake the other.
-Sponge cakes don’t do well sitting the fridge like buttercakes.
-A too-deep layer will take too long to bake and may spoil the texture.

Good Luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 03 April 2010 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

Julie thanks so much for the reply. I already had got a msg from another member to just split in 2 and put the half already in the pan and then in the fridge. At the moment the 2nd cake is baking, keep your fingers crossed lol! The first layer turned out just fine. Tomorrow I’m gonna post pics of the finished cake!!! smile

Posted: 03 April 2010 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

So here they are…......The one on the left is the 1st layer, and it slightly “sat down”; the other one is the one that has been put into the fridge. Now the syrup is cooling, can I apply it today and make the whipped cream and assemble tomorrow?

Image Attachments
030410e.jpg

Posted: 03 April 2010 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

I think it would be a good idea to apply the syrup today Maghina, because then the syrup will have time to soak into the cake before you apply the frosting.  I made the Golden Dream cake from RHC a few weeks ago, and I syruped them and then froze the layers as they were.  I took them from the freezer just this week , let them thaw and then frosted them, they were perfect, I have had so many compliments on the cake, it was for our Golden Wedding Anniversary so I wanted it to be good and it was, even though I am not all that thrilled with my application of the frosting, but that’s another story!!!  There’s a picture of it on Show & Tell if you’d like to see it.

1 of 2

‹‹ caramel crystalizes      almond cake ››