almond cake
Posted: 30 March 2010 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2010-02-17

hi all

my co-worker wants an almond cake for her birthday. I found the almond cake in the CAke Bible, Rose recommends serving it plain, since it’s so good, or with creme fraiche. Since I need to make a nice birthday cake, I am thinking of frosting it with the creamy dreamy white chocolate frosting from RHC. any ideas for frosting?
thanks all!
btw, I am planning on covering the sides of cake with sliced almonds!

Posted: 30 March 2010 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-17

Any advice would be greatly appreciated- I’m making this tonight!! smile
thanks
Miriam

Posted: 30 March 2010 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I think the creamy dreamy would be good with it- make sure to use the version with almond extract (I think that’s paired with the red velvet).

Another idea would be to make an almond version of the Sicilian pistachio cake.  That is, use the buttercream from that with a little almond extract and cover the outside with toasted sliced (or slivered) almonds.

In addition to the suggestions in the sidebar, I would also consider Amaretto mousseline decorated with almonds and/or chocolate shavings or curls.

Good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 30 March 2010 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Julie’s idea about the pistachio cake is great. There are several cakes in the new book that use almonds, such as the almond chiffon.

Posted: 30 March 2010 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I have made the almond chiffon from the new book twice. It is really very good. With amaretto and raspberry whipped cream it is heavenly. So soft and moist. If you are making it tonight for serving tomorrow it is great b/c the amaretto sugar syrup will have time to be soak thoroughly in the cake, making the taste better.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 30 March 2010 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-17

OOOH!! thank you so much for the great suggestions!
Since I’m making it tonight, after I get home from work, the almond butter cake sounded sensible to make, work-wise. But I’m now intrigued by all the great ideas!! I’ll take a quick look at the recipes before buying my final ingredients!!
can’t wait to go home and bake!
best
Miriam