Oven rack position.
Posted: 31 March 2010 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-03-31

I recently purchased Rose’ Cake Bible and I am about to bake the cakes in that book. Correct me if I’m mistaken, but it seems that the oven rack position rack is not mentioned in all recipes? Where should I position the rack, middle, lower middle or bottom of oven?

Posted: 31 March 2010 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Hi Karin - I bake with mine in the middle - but it probably depends on the brand of stove you have. I am sure the more experienced bakers will advise you.
I presume you are in the US?

Posted: 31 March 2010 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

In her latest book Heavenly Cakes Rose specifies for most cakes to be baked with the oven rack positioned in the lower third of the oven, i.e. just below the centre rack position, so that the cake pan itself ends up in the centre of the oven.  In your case that would be lower middle.

Posted: 31 March 2010 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-03-31

Thank you very much for your responses. Seems like I need to get Heavenly Cakes too. Anyway, I am using a professional-style deck oven with steel plate on the bottom. I am placing a cooling rack on the steel plate so the bottom of the cake pan does not contact the steel plate directly. The oven has two different temperature settings: upper heat and lower heat. So, if recipe says the temperature is 350F, how should I set the temperature of the top and bottom heat? Or should I not use the top heat at all?

Posted: 31 March 2010 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Just use the upper heat and lower heat to pre-heat the oven (or don’t use the top heat at all if you think you may forget to turn it off), then use only the lower heat to bake the cake. You may want to buy an oven thermometer to check your oven temperature. 

I had a stove once with both settings—upper and lower. The very first time I baked a cake in it, I didn’t know to turn off the top heat, and, needless to say, the top of the cake was extra baked. I sliced off the top and slathered it with frosting. My sister-in-law still talks about their lovely wedding cake. Lucky for me that it was a very informal wedding.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos