Sour Cream Butter Cake
Posted: 18 February 2008 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-02-18

I made Rose’s Sour cream butter cake and I was blown away by the texture and taste. I tried making a larger batch ( for a 6 ‘’ 9’’  12’’ squares) of the recipe but the out come wasn’t as expected. It turned out very dense, chewy and dry. I would love to know how I can make larger cakes using this recipe. I tried to use the formular for butter cakes in the cake bible but the base formular for yellow butter cakes does not have sour cream and it also does not have baking soda in it. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted: 20 February 2008 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-02-03

This sounds very much like a leavening issue.  Rose has a very detailed section on leavening increases and decreases in The Cake Bible and uses the term “the rose factor”.  She has a chart in the book…unfortunately i lent my book to a friend, otherwise I would provide the page number.  This may take a bit of math, but im certain it will clear up your problem.  Hope this helps!!!!  its invaluable!

Posted: 20 February 2008 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-02-18

Thanks pastryprince, I have a copy of the cake bible and I tried to use the master chart but it was a little confusing because it only mentioned baking powder amounts and the base formular for butter cakes calls for milk. The recipe for sour cream butter cake calls for 1/2tsp of baking soda and 1/2tsp of baking powder and instead of milk it calls for sour cream. Here’s the recipe

2.5oz yolks
5.5oz sour cream
11/2tsp vanilla extract
7oz cake flour
7oz granulated sugar
1/2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
6oz unsalted butter

Posted: 08 May 2009 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-05-01

I am a baking novice. But I am trying.

Is cake flour the same as all purpose? My grocery stores self rising and all purpose but not specifically cake flour? Which is it?

Also, why are my cupcakes pulling away from the sides of my tin after taking it out of the oven? For 3 minutes they are beautiful but after that, poof, they are deflated.

Posted: 09 May 2009 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-05-01

Thanks Rozanne and Freshkid~

Just made a batch of all american choc cupcakes from TCB (I now know what that stands for…Yea…making progress). They came out gorgeous, flakey and did not deflate. I used A/P flour but deceased it as you suggested by 2T/cup of flour. From someone else’s post earlier they suggested then adding 1 T of additional baking power/cup as a substitution. Did that too. I love them, they are perfect.

Maybe someday I can give advise instead of just take…thank you both so much.

Cheers,
BSB