Need hep w/yeast conversion from an old recipe…For today..Sat. 4/4. Please
Posted: 03 April 2010 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-08-16

I have an old recipe for an Italian Sweet Easter bread and the yeast ingredient called for is:  “1/4 lb fresh bakery yeast”.  I believe they are talking about compressed cake yeast.  But 1/4 lb? How does that convert to the packets of dry yeast? Thank you!

I posted it below this post….

Posted: 03 April 2010 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-16

this is the recipe I want to make…. Any suggestions?

Grandma Rose’s Italian Easter Bread 1947
Recipe #74907
Grandma Rose was from Calabria Italy. We always had this at Easter time. Great for toast and really good for French Toast. Just eat with a dab fresh butter and a cup of coffee. If you braid it, you can put sugar cubes on top that will burst in the oven in those areas, That is how the Italian bakeries do the tops.

8 breads *CUT IN HALF FOR 3 BREADS*

1 quart whole milk, scalded and room temp
12 large eggs
2 oranges, juice and zest of
2 lemons, juice and zest of
4 cups granulated sugar
2 cups room temp. butter
3/4 tablespoon salt

**1/4 lb fresh bakery yeast

BREAD flour, enough to make a soft but not sticky dough
Scald whole milk and let cool, add in the yeast.
Beat eggs, and juice, and zest.
Beat sugar and butter until fluffy continue to beat well.
Add the beaten egg mixture into the beaten sugar butter mixture.
Combine with the cooled scaled milk , and yeast mixture.
Combine well, add sifted flour, continue adding flour until a soft dough comes together.
Turn out onto a table and knead until soft, not too sticky, 5- 10 minutes.
Let double in a greased bowl, covered.
Punch down and let rise again.
Form into braids after second rising, or put into loaf pans.
Let rise until almost doubled Bake 350 degrees, until golden, 20 minutes approximately.

Note; the amount of flour can be anything from 8- 12 cups, or more. but add gradually until you have a soft slightly sticky dough—where when touched your finger comes away tacky but not sticking to the bread board.Keep your dough soft not firm—

Posted: 03 April 2010 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  596
Joined  2007-11-27

You are right that fresh yeast is usually a cake of yeast, and if the original is calling for a quarter pound that would be 4 ounces.  If you are cutting this in half, you’d be using two ounces.  I think you’d be using more than 12 cups of flour to a quart of milk, though….  do you have access to a Whole Foods store?  Their bakery dept might have fresh yeast that they could sell you, or maybe a bread bakery would be willing to sell it to you.  I don’t even have a packet of yeast here to check the label to see if there’s any help there.  There’s a post on Chowhound about converting fresh/dry yeast. so I am going to cut and paste it here:

From the King Arthur Baker’s Companion:

“If your recipe calls for cake or compressed yeast, you may substitute 1/4 ounce (2 1/4 teaspoons) dry yeast for every ounce (or cake) of compressed yeast.” Using this calculation, if your recipe calls for 1/2 ounce fresh yeast, you’d use 1/8 ounce of dry yeast.

On the other hand, The Professional Pastry Chef by Bo Friberg, says, “To substitute dry yeast for fresh yeast, reduce the amount called for in the recipe by half.” So, if the recipe calls for 1/2 ounce fresh yeast, you would use 1/4 ounce of dry yeast, which is one envelope.

the above was copied from a post on Chowhound by DukeGirl - I cannot verify the accuracy of the information in that post.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 03 April 2010 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-08-16

It does seem to me that this recipe with potentially only 8 (8 - 12?)cups of flour has a lot of yeast! per KAF 1/4 oz of fresh = 1 pkt. So, if the recipe calls for 4 oz then that would be 4 packets of yeast per oz or 16 packets right? I am saving the KAF info, thank you. Maybe I would be better off just looking at a comparable recipe and see what it calls for.  It’s an old recipe and maybe lost something in the translation??????