quick question on unmolding cheesecake
Posted: 03 April 2010 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

I just made a cheesecake “au naturel”, as Rose calls it—without a crust.  Do I want to unmold it when it is still warm, room temp. or cold?

Thank you, my fellow bakers.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 03 April 2010 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Hi Kathleen,
I always cool Rose’s cheesecake in the pan then refrigerate it overnight.
Then I remove it from the pan the next day. Enjoy your cheesecake!
Happy Holiday Kathleen

Posted: 03 April 2010 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-24

Thanks, Darlene. Happy Holiday to you, too!

This is my first time to bake a crustless cheesecake and my first time to bake a cheesecake in a pan that is not a springform. I didn’t know if it would stick to the pan bottom when it was cold. I’ll follow your advice and let you know how it turns out.

Kathleen

Signature 

Posted: 04 April 2010 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Kathleen,
Today when you remove your cheesecake from the cake pan, Rose says to run a spatula around the edge, then if need be briefly warm the pan over a burner until loosened. Not too long though or you will melt your cheesecake!
I too bake mine in a cake pan. This works every time.

Posted: 05 April 2010 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-24

Darlene,

The cheesecake came out of the pan with no problems at all. I had read Rose’es instructions, but I thought they were for cheesecakes with a crust, not without. I briefly held it over a burner on the stove, then gently turned it over on a plate, and it unmolded cleanly. I’ll be posting about it later today on Show and Tell. Thank you for your response and support—I knew it would work when I read that you use a cake pan and it “works every time”.

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2010 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-05-17

I bake cheesecakes twice a week for my son’s restaurant and have found:
1. Magic Line Cheesecake pans are the best because the bottom pushes up and you can buy replaceable bottoms (they seem to disappear like socks) and the bottom is smooth   and there is no lip on them
2. always spray the bottom and sides with a butter spray before you put the batter in
3. Use Magic Line strips around the cheesecake and you eliminate the dreaded water bath (I use 2 large and wrap the entire pan with them)
4. As soon as you take your cheesecake out of the oven, run a small knife around the outside and this helps prevent a crack as it pulls away to cool
5. Don’t move the cheesecake for 2 hours and don’t place it near a draft; I just let it sit on a burner on the stove
6. When the pan is cool to touch,  place it in the fridge on a cake cooling rack and let it sit for at least 6 hours or overnight= better
7. You can use a cake lifter (I have a large Wilton one) to remove the cheesecake from the base; warm your lifter under hot water and wipe off the water, place it under the cheesecake and lift it off onto your plate. If it still won’t come off , sit it on a hot wet towel with a piece of saran wrap over the towel for a couple of minutes and then lift it off. The hot burner works better and safer if you have a crust under it. It get stuck because the butter in the crust hardens back up. That’s why spraying it helps to eliminate that problem

Any other questions feel free to ask!

Colleen

Posted: 05 April 2010 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-24

Thanks for the reply, Colleen. I used Magi cake strips, and was very pleased with the extra creamy texture. I’m glad you are also having success with them. My cake unmolded beautifully when I ran a thin knife around the edge and then held it over a burner for a few seconds, following Darlene’s advice (above).

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2010 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Colleen, thanks so much for those tips, very helpful!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

‹‹ Delicious but flat      Cake separators? ››