Gumpaste Tools
Posted: 04 April 2010 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-10-01

I have enjoyed learning how to make gumpaste flowers and want to improve my technique with the details. From browsing various places on the net, it sounds like a set of metal ball tools would be a good idea. I have the Wilton set of plastic tools, but the ball tools just don’t seem to work well. I have to be extremely gentle or the gumpaste tears. And even when I am very gentle, it still seems very difficult (plus that seam on the plastic tool doesn’t help at all). Am I right in thinking that a good set of metal ball tools would work better with the gumpaste? I’ve searched the net and most places that have them at all don’t have them in stock. Is there a good place anyone can recommend getting a set from? What sizes are the most useful? I’d really appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

Posted: 04 April 2010 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Hello Vivster,

I have quite a few gumpaste tools and I have bought most of them from Scott Clark Woolley. ( I have the Wilton set of tools and cutter and I don’t really care for them) He has a website called Cakes by Design.  He is like the King of Gumpaste flowers.  They are breathtaking.  He sells all the gumpaste tools that he uses as well as nice metal cutters and silicone veiners.  I have used his cutters and they work very well, nice clean cuts.  I haven’t used his silicone veiners.  I bought mine from First Impression Molds and they are really nice and have alot of detail.

Scott Clark Woolley also sell DVD’s which he demonstrates how he makes his gumpaste flowers. They are kind of expensive and I only have his first DVD, but I really like it.  He goes into great detail to show you how to make the flowers.  Also he has posted his gumpaste recipe.  I have worked with premade gumpaste and other gumpaste recipes and his is far superior.  It is very elastic and you can roll it quite thin without tearing it.

I highly recommend his products.  He is very prompt to reply to your emails.  Most times it is within a half hour.  I have never had any problems with shipping and my products always arrive quite fast. 

Another place you can purchase good quality gumpaste tools is Global Sugar Art and Sugarcraft.  I haven’t purchased anything from them so far but I have browsed through their website and it is quite impressive.

I use a metal ball tool which I purchased through Scott Clark Woolley and I really like it.  It seems to roll a lot nicer over the gumpaste without tearing it.  I think he has three different sizes.  He recommends the large one, since that is the one he uses most often.

Hopefully this will help you.

Posted: 06 April 2010 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-10-01

Liza, thanks for your reply. His website has some very useful things to get, and the flowers he does are amazing. I’ll have to look through the money I have, but those ball tools look really nice. It’s fun but expensive getting the toys to do all this stuff!