1 of 2
Cheesecake with Lemon Orange Curd and Candied Orange Zest—An Exceptionally Creamy Cake without a Water Bath
Posted: 05 April 2010 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

This was the second time I baked a cheesecake using cake strips doubled-wrapped around the pan and an insulated cookie sheet to set the pan on, instead of a water bath. Both cheesecakes were incredibly creamy and tender, the creamiest I have ever eaten. DH agrees with me. He said, half-jokingly, that he had to chew the cheesecake because of the candied zest—otherwise he would have swallowed without chewing.

The first time was when I baked Rose’s Pumpkin Cheesecake (also posted under Show and Tell). It was also incredibly creamy, but I didn’t want to make a big deal out of not using a water bath, as I had only tried this method one time and thought it might be a fluke. (That time I only used the strips, not the insulated cookie sheet.)This is now the second time, but I know twice does not make for a scientific experiment.

My theory is that the strips, plus the insulated cookie sheet, fill the same purpose as a water bath to moderate the temperature. I hope my baking friends here on the forum try this method and let me know their results. I may be on to something or I may have rocks in my head (but not in my cheesecakes :) I hope it is the former, because I don’t like dealing with water baths if I don’t have to. I know my baking friends on the forum will let me know which is the case.

This cheesecake, with recipes for the curd and zest, are on my blog.

Special thanks to Darlene for walking me through the unmolding, as it was the first time I baked a cheesecake without a crust and not in a springform pan.

Image Attachments
Cheesecake with Lemon Orange Curd, whole.jpgCheesecake with lemon orange curd, slice.jpg
 Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 05 April 2010 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Kathleen,
Your cheesecake looks so beautiful and creamy! I can’t wait to try this method of baking a cheesecake and not have to mess with a water bath.
Looks like this will be my next baking project as I have cream cheese and sour cream left over from the holiday.
It will be a few days, in the meantime, we have some yummy RHC Pistachio Cake with Neoclassic Buttercream to eat. smile
Darlene

Posted: 05 April 2010 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-24

Darlene,

I’m really looking forward to hearing the results when other bakers try this. It would be great not to have to deal with a water bath and all the wasted foil. Plus, about once every few years, I get a pin hole in the foil, and get a soggy crust.
Let me know how it turns out. And enjoy your Pistachio Cake. I have eyed that recipe and will try it someday.

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2010 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Beautiful cheesecake, Kathleen!  I love the citrus curd and peel, such a nice combination with the rich custard. 

Your no-water-bath method sounds great, can’t wait to try it.  Thanks so much for reporting on this.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 06 April 2010 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

Let me take another queue number for waiting to hear the results too!!  I’ve put off trying the cheesecake recipes because I’ve been too lazy to have to deal with water baths.

Posted: 06 April 2010 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-17

I used this exact same method for my Easter cheesecake and it worked beautifully.

Posted: 06 April 2010 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-11-05

kathleen, please tell me your last name so if i use it in a book or posting i can credit you in full!

Posted: 06 April 2010 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-24

Dear Rose,

I have replied to you by a private message.

It appears I am not the only one using this method, but perhaps the first one calling attention to it and asking for others to try it. I look forward to hearing your results.

A thousand thank-yous for all your baking endeavors that have taught us so much.

Kathleen

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2010 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

My oh my, Kathleen you must be so proud! Your cheesecake looks fit for royalty, I love how creamy the citrus curd is and how the candies peel seems to glisten atop of it! The sides of the cheesecake look so creamy and amazing, I cannot believe that was done without a springform! Add to that, in your climate! I will be contacting you for certain once I make my move to the ultra humid world of Abu Dhabi. I love looking at your website, btw. It is gorgeous!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 01 May 2010 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-24

It is a lovely cake, so creamy and tender. I was hoping for feed-back from others to let me know if this method worked for them or not. While others have replied that they are interested in the results, I have not heard from anyone (beside Jan who was already using this method) as to whether it worked for them or not. Perhaps some tried it and found the cake too tender.

I look forward to hearing from you after your move. We can compare high humidity notes.

Signature 

Posted: 08 May 2010 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-20

Kathleen, I finally found the time to make TCB Cheesecake with two changes to my regular take. Firstly ~ The use of a food processor to mix the ingredients. Secondly ~ The use of the cake strips and no water bath.
Both worked out beautifully! I had used the processor for making cakes before but not cheesecakes.  No more water baths!  The cheesecake turned out creamy. Yes, it really works. wink
http://cakesbydar.blogspot.com/2010/05/cake-bible-crustless-cheesecake-with.html
Thanks Kathleen for the tip!

Posted: 09 May 2010 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-24

Hi Darlene,

I’m so glad this method worked for you, also. I have been surprised that no one else has posted about trying this method, and their results. I first posted about this over a month ago and you are the first one to reply as having tried it since I posted (aside from Jenn, who seems to already be using this method). To me, this is a revolutionary way to bake a cheesecake, yet there has been so little response to report trying it. Perhaps baking cheesecakes is not as common as I thought it was. Nonetheless, thank you for reporting your results. Isn’t it great not to have to use a water bath anymore!

I used a food processor, also, with great results.

By the way, did you or did you not also use a cookie sheet? If so, was it an insulated one?

Signature 

Posted: 09 May 2010 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-20

Kathleen,
It is great not to have to use a water bath!  No I didn’t use a cookie sheet, not sure that I needed it. I had terrific results with this method. Thanks Kathleen.

Posted: 16 May 2010 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-24

The first time I tried baking a cheese cake without a water bath, I didn’t use a cookie sheet; the second time I used an insulated sheet. Both cakes were very creamy. I don’t think a cookie sheet is necessary. The strips are sufficient to protect the cake from high heat.

Signature 

Posted: 18 May 2010 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

I have made Rose’s cheesecake without the water bath, and it still comes out creamy and delicious.  I think it’s all that wonderful sour cream.  Whenever someone suggests another cheesecake recipe that I MUST try, I just smile and say no thanks, I’ve already found the perfect cheesecake recipe, Rose’s!

I agree that foil is not fail safe protection in a water bath. What I have done for chocolate cheesecake in a water bath is this:  Get some crock pot cooking liners. Cut a liner to fit just to the top of your cheesecake pan.  Lay down a large sheet of heavy duty foil.  Lay the crock pot liner on top of the foil.  Center the pan and wrap, crimping the foil holds everything in place.  I’ve never had a leaking problem with the crock pot liner/foil method.

Posted: 12 September 2010 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

I made the Pure Pumpkin Cheesecake without a water bath this week.  I wrapped the springform pan with two cake strips stacked.  I also put the pan on an insulated cookie sheet, more so because I wanted a sheet underneath the pan to catch the butter leakage.  I am so excited!  It worked beautifully!  Thanks so much for the great idea.  It is so much easier than messing with a water bath.

Image Attachments
IMG_1835.jpg

1 of 2