1 of 2
RHC Lemon Poppy Seed-Sour Cream Cupcakes
Posted: 12 April 2010 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I made the Lemon Poppy Seed-Sour Cream cake from RHC as cupcakes. I made 1/2 recipe of this cake. Following Hector’s great idea of weighing the batter, I weigh 58 grams for each cupcakes and ended up with 9 cupcakes that are quite uniform. This is also good for me because I tend to overfill. So by weighing them I keep myself in line!
I could not report the taste of this cake since I have not tasted it yet. I will have it this afternoon and I will report on the flavor smile.

On a separate note, I did a count yesterday of the number of cakes I have baked from RHC. I have made 21 cakes since October last year!

Image Attachments
DSC03895_small.jpgDSC03889_small.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 12 April 2010 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

J, flat gorgeous, and proud of u!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 12 April 2010 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Good idea! Perhaps I’ll get some of them going - thanks for letting us know how many you got out of the 1/2 recipe. Did you have any trouble getting them out of the form?

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 12 April 2010 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks H and Silke!
Silke, I lined the silicone pan with the regular cupcake liner. After taking the cake out of the oven, it did start to shrink a little, so there’s a little space all around between the liner and the cupcake pan. I let the cupcake (in the pan) sit on the cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then simply push the bottom of the pan up with one hand and take the cupcake out with the other hand. It was much easier to take them out of the pan than the Sybil’s Pecan cupcake that I made last week. But I think it’s because I overfill the pecan cupcakes, they baked up really high and it was harder to get them out.

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2010 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Oh, right, duh, nothing that a bit of paper between the dough and the baking pan can’t fix. I never use / have liners (no, I have no strong convictions, I just plain never think about them, and just bake muffins straight in the pan). But since my lemon poppy seed cake completely disintegrated when I tried to get it out of the pan perhaps I need to get some.

red face

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 12 April 2010 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

smile. Silke I’m the opposite. I’m afraid of the mess and the cleaning that I have to do if I baked them without liners. Silicone cupcake pan is so easy to use but cleaning it isn’t.

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2010 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Jenn,
Your cupcakes look yummy. Can’t wait to hear how they taste.  21 ~  RHC cakes since October might be a record. How many different recipes, how many repeats?  Which recipe is your favorite to eat, which one is your favorite to make? Might be the same!
Great looking cupcake!

Posted: 12 April 2010 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Darm!
I do not count repeats - I feel it’s not a legitimate count. The only 2 I have remake are Apple Upside-Down Cake and Almond Shamah Chiffon (both I’ve made twice). It is getting hard to choose favorites as I made more and more, they are all so good.

Favorite to eat and to make:
Chocolate Apricot Roll w/ Lacquer Glaze, Sybil’s Pecan Torte (as cupcakes), Almond Shamah Chiffon

Favorite to eat (not to make):
Apple Upside-Down Cake

Here’s the list:
1. Apple Upside-Down Cake
2. Banana Refrigerator Cake
3. Southern Manhattan Coconut Cake
4. Lemon Poppy Seed-Sour Cream Cake
5. Woody’s Lemon Luxury Layer Cake
6. Sicilian Pistachio Cake
7. Double Chocolate Valentine
8. Classic Carrot Cake
9. Pumpkin Cake w/ Burnt Orange SMBC
10. Chocolate Tweed Angel Food Cake
11. Chocolate Apricot Roll w/ Lacquer Glaze
12. True Orange Genoise
13. Moist Chocolate Raspberry Genoise
14. Catalan Salt Pinch Cake
15. Almond Shamah Chiffon
16. Tortas de las Tres Leches
17. Sybil’s Pecan Torte with Coffee Cream
18. Le Succes
19. Hungarian Jancsi Torta
20. Chocolate Butter Cupcakes
21. Baby Chocolate Oblivions

21 down, about 80 more to go LOL!

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2010 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

the lemon poppy seed cake can get sticky on the muffin pans because of the lemon syrup that is brushed on the cake while still hot in the pan.  you also need to unmold within 10 minutes, so you can brush the bottoms with lemon syrup, too.  20 minutes is the recommended cooling time for butter cakes before unmolding, so the cake can become firm enough for unmolding.  10 minutes is rather borderline fragile.

this is also a very tender cake as most of Rose’s cakes are.  and moreover, been a fluted tube pan recipe baked on cupcake size, it will be even more tender (less surface area), but i really love this tender texture which also means the cake will still be delicious after several days.

i would suggest using a non-stick muffin pan sprayed with baking spray with flour if you prefer not to use the cupcake liners.  moreover, it can be a good idea after applying the baking spray with flour, to dust additional flour.

do check out my list of rhc’s done, i am having more fun than anything else

http://www.myyellowkitchen.com

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 12 April 2010 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Those look so perfect, Jenn.  Is that poppy seed in the first photo or are those poked holes for brushing syrup.  Funny, I know I not done 21 cakes from RHC but I was just thinking yesterday about how many I have done.  Guess I will pull out RHC and count.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 12 April 2010 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
hectorwong - 12 April 2010 10:03 PM

the lemon poppy seed cake can get sticky on the muffin pans because of the lemon syrup that is brushed on the cake while still hot in the pan.  you also need to unmold within 10 minutes, so you can brush the bottoms with lemon syrup, too.  20 minutes is the recommended cooling time for butter cakes before unmolding, so the cake can become firm enough for unmolding.  10 minutes is rather borderline fragile.

this is also a very tender cake as most of Rose’s cakes are.  and moreover, been a fluted tube pan recipe baked on cupcake size, it will be even more tender (less surface area), but i really love this tender texture which also means the cake will still be delicious after several days.

i would suggest using a non-stick muffin pan sprayed with baking spray with flour if you prefer not to use the cupcake liners.  moreover, it can be a good idea after applying the baking spray with flour, to dust additional flour.

do check out my list of rhc’s done, i am having more fun than anything else

http://www.myyellowkitchen.com

Oh, Hector, I have to schedule time to study the recent posts…Looks like some real new treasures are there now.

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2010 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Lovely cupcakes, Jenn, and congratulations on that impressive RHC list!  So glad you named favorites.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 12 April 2010 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Yes, Jenn, that is a very impressive list.  I just turned the pages in my RHC and some of those cakes are real work!!

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2010 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Jenn, you made me curious how many I’ve made as I haven’t been keeping track, so I just made my list. I was actually surprised how many I had made—didn’t think it was this much, and now I feel like a pig smile I think my favorite so far is the banana refrigerator cake. I love how Rose’s books inspire you to make everything!

Apple Upside-Down Cake
Heavenly Coconut Seduction Cake
Whipped Cream Cake
Golden Lemon Almond Cake
Chocolate Streusel Coffee Cake
Sicilian Pistachio Cake
Sticky Toffee Pudding
English Gingerbread Cake
Fruitcake Wreath
Rose Red Velvet Cake
Chocolate Tomato Cake with Mystery Ganache
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake
Black Chocolate Party Cake
Classic Carrot Cake
Banana Refrigerator Cake
German Chocolate Cake
Angel Food Cake
Chocolate Tweed Angel Food Cake
Heavenly Vanilla Bean Angel Food Cake
White Gold Passion G?noise
True Orange G?noise
Moist Chocolate Raspberry G?noise
Red Fruit Shortcake
Torta de las Tres Leches
Cranberry Crown Cheesecake
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Tiramis?
Designer Chocolate Baby Grands
Peanut Butter Ingots
Financier-Style Vanilla Bean Pound Cakes
Molten Chocolate Souffl? and Lava Cakes
Barcelona Brownie Bars

Posted: 13 April 2010 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Very impressive lists!!!

Posted: 13 April 2010 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

That’s amazing, Matthew!  Which are your favorites (in addition to the banana)?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

1 of 2