getting ahead of the tasks
Posted: 12 April 2010 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

How often do you make buttercream ahead? 

I have a 10” cake to do and was thinking of making the buttercream before baking the layers.  I really love the texture of the mousselline buttercream immediately after it is complete and nearly lose patience with the time and energy to bring MBC to proper temp and consistency for use. 

While I am on the subject, how many of you freeze cakes to save time or facilitate torting?  I do not do this because I generally do not have room cake layers.  I am also afraid of impacting the quality of the cake.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 12 April 2010 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I almost always make frosting before the cake, especially buttercream or ganache. 

I rarely have large chunks of time for baking projects, so I do a little here and there and then store in fridge or freezer.  For bringing buttercream up to temperature, or for cooling/setting ganache, it’s great to just leave them out overnight so they’re ready to go in the morning.

Another overnighter- last night I left all my ingredients for puff pastry out on the counter and turned the kitchen thermostat down to 58F.  In the morning, everything was ready to go. 

I frequently freeze cakes, being careful to wrap in both plastic and foil and to freeze as soon as they are cool.  I freeze more sponge cakes than butter cakes, normally I try to bake butter cakes close to the time they are served.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 12 April 2010 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Thank you Julie.  That is helpful.  I will stick with making buttercream ahead of time.

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2010 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

I also prefer to make my BC and fillings ahead of time. It gives me a more relaxed feeling when the due date is approaching and I know I have 70% of the nitty gritty work done ahead of time. It’s the next best thing to being able to hire an assistant, hehe!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 13 April 2010 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I have made mousseline ahead of time as well. Similar to Julie, I left it on the counter several hours before I’m going to use it.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 13 April 2010 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Yes, Jemoiselle… I guess that would be next best thing to having an assistant. 
Thank you Jenn, guess I better get started on making what I need for Saturday.  I just have to remember to take it out in time for it to be ready..

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2010 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

I like fresh mousseline, I find it easier to smooth. I will make cakes and definitely fillings ahead of time but usually just make the mousseline while the cakes are baking.

Posted: 13 April 2010 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Bernadette - 14 April 2010 02:00 AM

I like fresh mousseline, I find it easier to smooth. I will make cakes and definitely fillings ahead of time but usually just make the mousseline while the cakes are baking.

I thought it was just me also, but I too find fresh eaiser to smooth.  Tho’ I think if I wait for it to get to the proper temp. it seems to work okay.  Setting it out in time is the trick I think.

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2010 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Be sure to re-whip once it comes to room temp.  Some buttercreams do change texture a little when stored and re-whipped, but I actually find them smoother, with fewer large bubbles.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 14 April 2010 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 14 April 2010 02:47 AM

Be sure to re-whip once it comes to room temp.  Some buttercreams do change texture a little when stored and re-whipped, but I actually find them smoother, with fewer large bubbles.

Thank you, Julie for that reminder.  I think I will also store it in a shorter container so it does not take as long to come to room temp.

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2010 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03
CRenee - 14 April 2010 02:30 AM
Bernadette - 14 April 2010 02:00 AM

I thought it was just me also, but I too find fresh eaiser to smooth.  Tho’ I think if I wait for it to get to the proper temp. it seems to work okay.  Setting it out in time is the trick I think.

CRenee, the icing will still taste as great but it never seems to be “fluffy” enough once I rewhip it. . .I don’t know, the texture doesn’t work as well for me.