1 of 3
Chocolate Tomato Cake & Southern Coconut Cake
Posted: 18 April 2010 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I wanted to share a few photos of the Chocolate Tomato Cake with Mystery Ganache and the Southern (Manhattan) Coconut Cake with Silk Meringue Buttercream, both from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. I made both of these as half size (7 inch) cakes:

Posted: 18 April 2010 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

Wow, Matthew!  Both cakes are incredibly beautiful and look so delicious!  Picture perfect!

Posted: 18 April 2010 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1186
Joined  2009-11-24

You just AMAZE me.  WOW!!! Do tell.. How does the Chocolate Tomato cake taste?  And, that coconut cake looks so delicious.  So is all of that fresh coconut.  Did you get your cream and milk from the fresh coconut also.  That cake looks so so perfect!!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 18 April 2010 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks avivaleah and CRenee! The coconut cake includes these coconut components: coconut milk (canned), coconut extract, CocoRibe, frozen grated coconut, coconut “chips”, and the garnish is a small dried Indian coconut which I believe is called ballari coconut. So no, actually I didn’t use any fresh coconut :( I have in the past, but I prefer to use the frozen now as it is so much less work but still tastes fresh smile

Posted: 18 April 2010 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Wow. I am so impressed with your cake skills and photography. I am particularly intrigued by the coconut cake. I love the split coconut decoration!

Posted: 18 April 2010 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

I love the 7” half concept.  The split COCONUT blew my mind away, just perfect as the coconut flakes and cake seems like pouring off from the coconut.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 18 April 2010 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

What a wonderful sense of humor!  The coconut is such a delight.  It seems the smaller cakes ooze elegance. No pun intended. Simply beautiful Matthew.

Posted: 18 April 2010 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4804
Joined  2008-04-16

Fabulous cakes, Matthew!  They look straight out of RHC.  Love the split coconut topper, and photos are lovely as always.

What did the chocolate-tomato cake taste like?

And how did you like the coconut silk meringe buttercream?  Have you had the other RHC coconut cake/ any thoughts on comparing the two?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 18 April 2010 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

I’ve just been fantazing about baking a cake, and here come these 2 pictures. Matthew’s pictures will make me want to bake even if I hadn’t been in the mood. I hope they tasted as good as they look. I guess that coconut cake is quite costly - would that come in 2nd after the pistachio cake? Is it the best coconut cake ever? I still regret not being able to have a 2nd slice of a certain coconut cake the week I was home after my father died - another guest had just brought some fudge, and we all had to eat that instead; this is already 7 years that I have missed having another piece of that cake. It looks like this coconut cake would forever take away that regret!

Posted: 18 April 2010 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Beautiful, Matthew, both cakes and photography! I’m also curious about the taste of the tomato cake. That was the one recipe I looked at and shuddered…

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 April 2010 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Ditto to what everyone else said, Matthew! Must also comment on the gorgeous crumb in both cakes. Perfect! I can almost get the mouthfeel looking at the pictures.

Posted: 18 April 2010 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you all! Everyone wants to know about the tomato cake smile To me, it mostly just tastes like a rich chocolate cake. I think no one would ever even think about it unless you told them, and even then it is hard to pick up on anything different. It is most noticeable in the ganache, where you pick up some tanginess, but it is subtle (Silke, don’t worry, you would like it).

Darm, I’m becoming devoted to these 7 inch cakes as it makes the perfect amount for a few people and I don’t feel guilty for either eating too much cake or letting it go to waste.

Julie, loved the silk meringue. Had been a couple years since I made it and I forgot how wonderful it is! I prefer this one between the two coconut cakes.

Knit, the pistachio cake seems expensive in my mind because of the cost of the nuts, but I was just thinking the other day that I actually spent more money total making the chocolate raspberry cake, even though no one ingredient stood out as extravagant. Since I bought most of the things for the coconut cake at my Indian grocery, it was actually fairly inexpensive, but it would cost more at a conventional grocery store.

Posted: 18 April 2010 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks Carolita, the first word that came to mind for the coconut cake was “downy” as the crumb was so soft and light!

Posted: 18 April 2010 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Stunning cakes Matthew (as always)! I am always amazed at how neat your cakes are. The crumb is to die for smile  Thanks for the review of the chocolate cake. Everytime I look at that recipe, I wonder what it would taste like.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 April 2010 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks Rozanne, I’ve been curious from the moment I saw it too, so I finally had to give in and try it!

Posted: 19 April 2010 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11
Matthew - 18 April 2010 03:11 AM

I wanted to share a few photos of the Chocolate Tomato Cake with Mystery Ganache and the Southern (Manhattan) Coconut Cake with Silk Meringue Buttercream,..

Oh my, these are superb! The feathery velvet texture of the Coconut cake coupled with the gloss of the SMBC make me want to reach through the screen and take it for my own! What stunning presentations. Your work is immaculate.

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

1 of 3