3 of 3
Chocolate Tomato Cake & Southern Coconut Cake
Posted: 03 May 2010 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  212
Joined  2009-10-01

Loopy’s comment inspires a thought. I’m much more of a bread baker than a cake baker these days. I bake bread 1 to 3 times/week, but cakes are a very occasional thing (but increasing lately). But pictures of peoples’ bread (esp on thefreshloaf.com) don’t speak to me in the way that Matthew’s cake pictures do. With Matthew’s I’m drawn into magical world - I can’t explain it. They are so pure - in a way they are like a meditation for me. Sounds crazy, I know.

Cakewise, I made the banana cake last Sunday, and foolishly told my class I will bake a cake on the occasion of their final exam. So on Wed. I plan to make Rose’s lemon/almond cake, the one that’s her favorite. Wish me luck!

Beth

Posted: 03 May 2010 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1094
Joined  2009-05-26

Loopy, I’m glad I’m not the only one. I too have come back a couple of times to gaze at the perfection of these cakes. Especially the coconut cake with the split coconut. That blew me away! Really awesome, Matthew!

Beth - good luck!!! Though I’m confident you’ll do fine. Can’t wait to hear about the almond cake, I haven’t made this one.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 03 May 2010 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24

I am with Loopy, still happy that the science works out..  Matthew has a standard for making a cake look great. 

I love the almond cake….I just always have to remember to plan the time required for it.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 04 May 2010 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Oh good…I’m so glad I’m not just crazy! It really is Matthew’s brilliance that’s affecting me like this… Matthew, will you marry me?? smile smile

Posted: 07 May 2010 03:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

You all are really too kind! And wow, my first marriage proposal, lol smile Makes me think of Rose’s story about that in the Cake Bible for one of the chocolate cakes.

Posted: 07 May 2010 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1094
Joined  2009-05-26

It was for the Triple Chocolate Cake that Rose was proposed too smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 June 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

I don’t know how I missed these the first go around, but I can only echo the many sentiments of awe an salivation!  Gorgeous work, Matthew!  I’m baking the coconut cake for my mom’s b-day, but so far I haven’t found the “real” extract and I hope my frozen coconut is up to par!  I can only hope it turns out even a shade as nice as yours!  It won’t be sporting the split coconut!

3 of 3