Buttercream alternative
Posted: 19 April 2010 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-06-25

Hi,
I am going to be baking a wedding cake for a couple that has a small budget. They will have 130 guests. I want to keep the price as low as possible.
I will be baking 1. 5 sheetcakes, and one 10 inch round cake. I need to frost, fill all of them. The sheet cakes will also need buttercream decorations.
I have always only worked with meringue buttercreams, but meringue buttercream to feed 130 guests will quickly increase the total price.
I hate to use sugar and shortening frostings. Is there any go between that has the richness and depth of meringue buttercreams but not as expensive.

Thanks.

Posted: 19 April 2010 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Depending on the cake, you could certainly save money for your budget-challenged couple by using a fruit-based filling and save the buttercream for the cake’s exterior. I’m thinking of a conserve or fruit puree, perhaps stiffened with gelatine or agar. Or a fruit butter. If they want a creamy filling, look at Rose’s cloud creams which combine fruit products with a little whipped cream and thickener. These options would be especially inexpensive, if you or any of the couple’s family put fruit by last summer when it was in season? Just a thought.

There’s no substitute for a good buttercream, unless you want to go the fondant route. If the couple want buttercream, my advice would be to check out sources for wholesale or very low-cost ingredients. You can get a good sale price sometimes especially at the big box stores. Your design could also be tailored to use as little buttercream as possible. For example, buttercream on the sides and used for the border, but only a thin coat on top crowned by a fruit jewel glaze the same flavour as the fruit filling. Check out Rose’s chapter on fruit toppings and purees in The Cake Bible.

Posted: 19 April 2010 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-06-25

Thanks, Carolita.
I was actually thinking along the same lines. I was thinking of pie filling mixed in with some cream cheese for between the layers. I will check out rose’s recipes as well.

Posted: 20 April 2010 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

Would your clients consider doing cupcakes?  They are festive, can be arranged as a tiered display and would be less intensive for you than doing all those sheetcakes.  If you want to consider the idea, I’ve found that people will eat 2 standard size cupcakes (on average) or one jumbo size cupcake.  With a swirl of buttercream frosting (use a star tip or a plain tip and this way you can differentiate different flavors).  The couple can do a 6” round cake for the top and cut that to “signal” that guests can help themselves to cupcakes…..

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)