1 of 3
When you are not baking?
Posted: 20 April 2010 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

Is baking your profession?  If so, what do you do most and what kind of place do you work?
If not, what do you do when you are not baking?  Do you have any other passions/hobbies? 

I love to garden.  Although this forum has seriously fueled my passion for baking, I also love to garden.  Now that it is warm, I am anxious to be in the yard weeding, pruning, etc.  I have crape myrtles, hydrangeas, viburnums, peonies, japanese maple, dogwood, cherry laurel, camelias, and various perennials all in my end-unit townhouse.  I am very active in my church and often travel for same.  That led me to an interest in photography.  I am not very good at it but joined a group at church to improve my skills.  Now I have to get off, I have some weeds to eliminate and deer to fend off.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 20 April 2010 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Ooh what a fun thread! You sound like you have a wonderful set of passions! I love how many flowers you have in your garden, it must look spectacular! I got to try my hand at gardening last year for the first time, and found it to be deeply fulfilling. I grew as many rose plants as I could, coupled with all food bearing plants to attempt to become more self sufficient. I had strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, grapes, herbs of all kinds, beans, corn, carrots tomatoes and lettuce. We learned it is a family passion, as my Husband is just as into it as I am. You really develop a relationship with plants that feed you! It was so special. This year we bought about 20 times as many seeds as last year, ready to “get serious” with our efforts, but before we could plant (thank God!) we received orders to move, ands the climate where we are going is inhospitable to any plant life so I hear, ABu Dhabi UAE.

I also am a hobby vocalist, figure skater (living in a city with no rink, boo!) dancer (Jazz and modern) I sing with our worship team at church, love animals especially parrots and sphynx/persian cats lol. I have a two year old baby boy named Skye who keeps me super busy! I was baking out of my home as a hobby at first, but quickly got orders beyond which I could fulfill at one time! I averaged five orders a month, which is not much compared to most lol, but to me it was crazy! All of my orders were for little kid’s birthdays, baby showers and only a couple adult’s birthdays. In the future, I am very interested in making specialty cakes for kids etc but not copyright themed. I know, wish me luck. Everyone wants Elmo, right? I have a vision of cakes so whimsical kids get lost dreaming when they look at them, and completely forget poor little ELmo even has a name. I also REALLY Just want to make Rose’s cakes in both books, especially RHC. It is a dream right now to join the Heavenly Bakers! Perhaps I will get up the nerve when I get to Abu Dhabi and get situated. All in all, I am a person who changes with the wind. I have so many hobbies, sometimes one gets put on the backburner for a while, but it doesn’t mean I won’t come back to it!

Renee, I would love to see pictures of your garden! Is that too odd a request? It sounds lovely. What do you do on your trips you mention? Do you have a site for your photography adventures like flickr? They all sound like fun! Thank you for sharing, I look forward to reading more from you!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 20 April 2010 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I’m an part-time administrative assistant, and full-time homemaker.  I spend a lot of time doing house work, cooking, shopping, carpooling, running errands, and shipping kids from one activity to another.  I kill downtime (ie waiting in the dr’s office, carpool line, etc) by doing sudoku puzzles - I love them!

I have an extreme fondness for gardening.  I wish I could say I’m a gardener, but sadly, I am not.  However, I have managed to successfully grow a few things that require absolutely no assistance from me.  I’m astonished that I still have a gorgeous poinsettia alive (got it around Thanksgiving last year).  Not only is it still alive, the thing is still covered with red leaves!  Amazing.

Another hobby I like is publishing a blog, which led to my next hobby - digital photography.  It’s been a very creative experience, and it all started right her on this blog!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 20 April 2010 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I have a full time desk job, working 40-50 hours a week.

When I am not baking I knit and cross stitch. I’ve been knitting for 8 years now and have made socks, scarfs, throws, sweaters, and hats. Currently my project is a red cardigan sweater for myself and a scenic cross stitch for hubby. Someday I would love to take up sewing as well. I only know how to mend little holes and sew buttons at this point smile.

I also cook and like to try new recipes quite often.

I’m so jealous of your garden, CRenee. It sounds so beautiful. Unfortunately, I do not have a green thumb at all. I live in an apt and have had several plants, but always manage to kill them :(. Even with timely watering they all seem to die eventually. Though I have to admit that I’m not very good at changing the soil or giving them vitamins. I am now down to 1 plant, which I’ve had for 3-4 years now. It still looks good, so maybe there’s hope.

What a fun post! Thanks for starting this discussion. It definitely cheered up my Tuesday morning,  grin.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 20 April 2010 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

When I am not baking, I bake!  I have a full time day job in computer technology.  3 evenings of the week I train for my canoe club, the other 2 evenings I work at saturacakes.com. 

On the weekends, I split my time between baking one of the rhc cakes and racing at my canoe club.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 20 April 2010 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Jemoiselle - 20 April 2010 03:56 PM

Ooh what a fun thread! You sound like you have a wonderful set of passions! I love how many flowers you have in your garden, it must look spectacular! I got to try my hand at gardening last year for the first time, and found it to be deeply fulfilling. I grew as many rose plants as I could, coupled with all food bearing plants to attempt to become more self sufficient. I had strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, grapes, herbs of all kinds, beans, corn, carrots tomatoes and lettuce. We learned it is a family passion, as my Husband is just as into it as I am. You really develop a relationship with plants that feed you! It was so special. This year we bought about 20 times as many seeds as last year, ready to “get serious” with our efforts, but before we could plant (thank God!) we received orders to move, ands the climate where we are going is inhospitable to any plant life so I hear, ABu Dhabi UAE.

I also am a hobby vocalist, figure skater (living in a city with no rink, boo!) dancer (Jazz and modern) I sing with our worship team at church, love animals especially parrots and sphynx/persian cats lol. I have a two year old baby boy named Skye who keeps me super busy! I was baking out of my home as a hobby at first, but quickly got orders beyond which I could fulfill at one time! I averaged five orders a month, which is not much compared to most lol, but to me it was crazy! All of my orders were for little kid’s birthdays, baby showers and only a couple adult’s birthdays. In the future, I am very interested in making specialty cakes for kids etc but not copyright themed. I know, wish me luck. Everyone wants Elmo, right? I have a vision of cakes so whimsical kids get lost dreaming when they look at them, and completely forget poor little ELmo even has a name. I also REALLY Just want to make Rose’s cakes in both books, especially RHC. It is a dream right now to join the Heavenly Bakers! Perhaps I will get up the nerve when I get to Abu Dhabi and get situated. All in all, I am a person who changes with the wind. I have so many hobbies, sometimes one gets put on the backburner for a while, but it doesn’t mean I won’t come back to it!

Renee, I would love to see pictures of your garden! Is that too odd a request? It sounds lovely. What do you do on your trips you mention? Do you have a site for your photography adventures like flickr? They all sound like fun! Thank you for sharing, I look forward to reading more from you!

Jemoiselle, my garden is actually in terrible shape right now.  There is so much weeding to be done.  I think it is great that you have a lot of interests..You shall never be without anything to do.

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2010 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Patrincia - 20 April 2010 05:13 PM

I’m an part-time administrative assistant, and full-time homemaker.  I spend a lot of time doing house work, cooking, shopping, carpooling, running errands, and shipping kids from one activity to another.  I kill downtime (ie waiting in the dr’s office, carpool line, etc) by doing sudoku puzzles - I love them!

I have an extreme fondness for gardening.  I wish I could say I’m a gardener, but sadly, I am not.  However, I have managed to successfully grow a few things that require absolutely no assistance from me.  I’m astonished that I still have a gorgeous poinsettia alive (got it around Thanksgiving last year).  Not only is it still alive, the thing is still covered with red leaves!  Amazing.

Another hobby I like is publishing a blog, which led to my next hobby - digital photography.  It’s been a very creative experience, and it all started right her on this blog!

It is funny how one passion leads to another.  Patricinia, I love your blog.  I have appreciated what you have share there.  I cannot seem to get into sudoku puzzles.  My sister loves them.

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2010 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Jenn - 20 April 2010 05:40 PM

When I am not baking I knit and cross stitch. I’ve been knitting for 8 years now and have made socks, scarfs, throws, sweaters, and hats. Currently my project is a red cardigan sweater for myself and a scenic cross stitch for hubby. Someday I would love to take up sewing as well. I only know how to mend little holes and sew buttons at this point smile.

I’m so jealous of your garden, CRenee. It sounds so beautiful. Unfortunately, I do not have a green thumb at all. I live in an apt and have had several plants, but always manage to kill them :(. Even with timely watering they all seem to die eventually. Though I have to admit that I’m not very good at changing the soil or giving them vitamins. I am now down to 1 plant, which I’ve had for 3-4 years now. It still looks good, so maybe there’s hope.

What a fun post! Thanks for starting this discussion. It definitely cheered up my Tuesday morning,  grin.

My garden is quite unsightly right now…needing lots of weeding.  And, I do not know what happened to my spring tulips.  I keep meaning to take up knitting or crocheting one day and sewing too.  I manage to kill everything that I attempt to grow indoors.  I am horrible with house plants.  Odd isn’t it.

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2010 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
hectorwong - 21 April 2010 12:50 AM

When I am not baking, I bake!  I have a full time day job in computer technology.  3 evenings of the week I train for my canoe club, the other 2 evenings I work at saturacakes.com. 

On the weekends, I split my time between baking one of the rhc cakes and racing at my canoe club.

Ah Hector, I work in the technology field when I am working.  That canoe club sounds like fun.  I think I will add baking a Rose cake each weekend to my goals list.

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2010 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Well, I guess I need to a photos of the garden or at least my plants on my photosite. 

But there you may see some photos from my travels:

http://www.cynthiac.smugmug.com

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2010 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11

CRenee,

They do look plentiful on “paper” don’t they? lol I looked at your photos, thank you for posting them. Such amazing travels, important missions and my, you have some of the kindest eyes I have seen. I am assuming it was you I was looking at! Foolish me thought your name was Renee, I apologize for not having the forethought to ask you! Is it Cynthia? What do you prefer to be called here? I go by both Jessie and Jemoiselle… formally since I believe I now have it correct, I shall say again, it’s nice to meet you! *snickers*

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2010 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11
Patrincia - 20 April 2010 05:13 PM

Patrincia, you sound like a busy lady too! I like the story about the poinsettia =) I tried so hard to be good at indoor gardening when I lived in Las Vegas, NV years ago, to no avail. I kept everything clinging to life, and then went on vacation, my Husband bless his heart, finished what I started lol. Outdoors though, I seem to do ok! Perhaps that is because Mother Nature does most of the work?
I also liked your description of “shipping the kids” hehe. Brought up some nice abstract imagery into my silly mind. Nice comedic relief from the day! I cannot believe you are a full time homemaker AND a part time AA. That must be so hard! Taking care of my home, toddler, and the few cakes I do is way over my head sometimes! My hat is off to you =)

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2010 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11
Jenn - 20 April 2010 05:40 PM

Knitting, how fun! That is still a big mystery to me, one someday I would love to try! It just seems so hard, hehe. I’ve picked up a few how to books and said “forget it!” hehe. How neat it must be to create things one can wear and snuggle up to. Oh, and making things for babies! That would be a blast! What a neat hobby. This thread definitely cheered up my day too =)

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2010 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11
hectorwong - 21 April 2010 12:50 AM

Note to self: check out saturacakes.com! That sounds fun =) You have such an interesting mix of hobbies and passions Hector! I would love to see a canoe club! As a child I was always terrified of them thinking they would surely tip over and trap me underneath. It must feel so peaceful to be gliding about across picturesque landscapes with like minded folks.

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2010 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Jemoiselle - 21 April 2010 04:04 AM

CRenee,

They do look plentiful on “paper” don’t they? lol I looked at your photos, thank you for posting them. Such amazing travels, important missions and my, you have some of the kindest eyes I have seen. I am assuming it was you I was looking at! Foolish me thought your name was Renee, I apologize for not having the forethought to ask you! Is it Cynthia? What do you prefer to be called here? I go by both Jessie and Jemoiselle… formally since I believe I now have it correct, I shall say again, it’s nice to meet you! *snickers*

No matter on the name… everyone here knows me as CRenee… my name is Cynthia Renee….Renee is fine.  Well now, Jessie is easier to type.

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2010 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I work 4 days a week as a Medical Laboratory Technologist.  Love my job. (Most times)  The rest of my time is divided between kids, baking, cooking, laundry, cleaning, gardening, shopping..the list goes on.  But when I have some free time I like to try new recipes and play my classical guitar.

1 of 3

‹‹ Need to use heavy cream      Bakery Frosting ››