2 of 3
When you are not baking?
Posted: 21 April 2010 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2582
Joined  2007-11-15
Jemoiselle - 20 April 2010 03:56 PM

Ooh what a fun thread! You sound like you have a wonderful set of passions! I love how many flowers you have in your garden, it must look spectacular! I got to try my hand at gardening last year for the first time, and found it to be deeply fulfilling. I grew as many rose plants as I could, coupled with all food bearing plants to attempt to become more self sufficient. I had strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, grapes, herbs of all kinds, beans, corn, carrots tomatoes and lettuce. We learned it is a family passion, as my Husband is just as into it as I am. You really develop a relationship with plants that feed you! It was so special. This year we bought about 20 times as many seeds as last year, ready to “get serious” with our efforts, but before we could plant (thank God!) we received orders to move, ands the climate where we are going is inhospitable to any plant life so I hear, ABu Dhabi UAE.

I also am a hobby vocalist, figure skater (living in a city with no rink, boo!) dancer (Jazz and modern) I sing with our worship team at church, love animals especially parrots and sphynx/persian cats lol. I have a two year old baby boy named Skye who keeps me super busy! I was baking out of my home as a hobby at first, but quickly got orders beyond which I could fulfill at one time! I averaged five orders a month, which is not much compared to most lol, but to me it was crazy! All of my orders were for little kid’s birthdays, baby showers and only a couple adult’s birthdays. In the future, I am very interested in making specialty cakes for kids etc but not copyright themed. I know, wish me luck. Everyone wants Elmo, right? I have a vision of cakes so whimsical kids get lost dreaming when they look at them, and completely forget poor little ELmo even has a name. I also REALLY Just want to make Rose’s cakes in both books, especially RHC. It is a dream right now to join the Heavenly Bakers! Perhaps I will get up the nerve when I get to Abu Dhabi and get situated. All in all, I am a person who changes with the wind. I have so many hobbies, sometimes one gets put on the backburner for a while, but it doesn’t mean I won’t come back to it!

Renee, I would love to see pictures of your garden! Is that too odd a request? It sounds lovely. What do you do on your trips you mention? Do you have a site for your photography adventures like flickr? They all sound like fun! Thank you for sharing, I look forward to reading more from you!

Jemoiselle - I just visited your blog.  Your cakes are FANTASTIC!!!  I’m following you - can’t wait to see what you post next!

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 21 April 2010 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Oh my goodness Patrincia, what a smile that gave me! I think it is safe to say I am almost recovered from my little folly the other day. You all are so wonderful, I feel so grateful to have such a great cake family! I haven’t even been here long but I feel as if I’ve been here forever =) I love your work on yout blog as well, it is so varied and all decadent! I think my favorite posts are the chicken chili and the shredded wheat cookies, the new one! I better follow you too! *wink* I am a nutritarian (only eat fruits veggies nuts and seeds minus a couple days a month where I have celebration days and feast!) so special recipes like these are near and dear to my heart. My celebration days need that chicken chili! I am going to make it on my next one =)

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 21 April 2010 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Oh what a fun thread! Jemoiselle - great cakes, I have to second Rozanne. And I’m in awe of everybody that is a gardener or at least tries to garden with some success! So interesting to have a glimpse in your lives, and thanks for sharing!

What do I do when I’m not baking? I am an engineer, and usually work on the sales and marketing side which often takes me around the world, and which I enjoy very much. When I’m neither traveling nor baking nor hanging out here I’m cooking, mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, hiking, or drinking wine.  grin

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 21 April 2010 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1186
Joined  2009-11-24

Oh, Liza…it is great to have a job you love.  Same for you Silke, and you get to travel!!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 21 April 2010 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Cynthia, I looked at your pictures - it seems that when we put our trips together we have almost the entire globe covered. I’ve never been to Africa, except for a few hours across the Strait of Gibraltar….

And yes, I - mostly - love my job, and I think it’s great that it gives me the opportunity to see so much of this planet. Even though it means that the last thing I want to do when on vacation is to get on a plane.

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2010 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

Cynthia, beautiful photos of your travels.  They all look like exotic places. 

Thanks for the topic.  I don’t work out of the house now and I am passionate about quilting.  My favorite quilting are ones I design myself, and those I give away.  I mostly give to injured military men and woman (active and veterans), but give many for gifts.  My husband and I love to travel, but his job has him mostly traveling around the lower 48, so we try to get overseas at least once a year.  Two weeks ago we just came back from a fantastic trip to Cuba with our grown kids.  I belong to a hiking group and we meet and hike one day a week, and snowshoe in the winter.

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 22 April 2010 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Montanamom123 - 22 April 2010 01:08 PM

Thanks for the topic.  I don’t work out of the house now and I am passionate about quilting.  My favorite quilting are ones I design myself, and those I give away.  I mostly give to injured military men and woman (active and veterans), but give many for gifts.  My husband and I love to travel, but his job has him mostly traveling around the lower 48, so we try to get overseas at least once a year.  Two weeks ago we just came back from a fantastic trip to Cuba with our grown kids.  I belong to a hiking group and we meet and hike one day a week, and snowshoe in the winter.

Quilting, another something I’d wish I had taken up.  Great that you do it for gifting.

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2010 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Silke - 21 April 2010 11:05 PM

Cynthia, I looked at your pictures - it seems that when we put our trips together we have almost the entire globe covered. I’ve never been to Africa, except for a few hours across the Strait of Gibraltar….

And yes, I - mostly - love my job, and I think it’s great that it gives me the opportunity to see so much of this planet. Even though it means that the last thing I want to do when on vacation is to get on a plane.

Meanwhile, I would love to get on a plane for just a vacation.  I have only been to two countries in Africa and only three in Asia.  There is still so much to see.

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2010 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Living at the bottom tip of Africa - where the two oceans the Indian and the Atlantic meet - South Africa. I am passionate about wild life particularly the magnificent few remaining leopards which roam the mountains here.

Retired - ex editor - I don’t find enough hours in every day between gardening, photography, baking, wine tasting - I live close to Africa’s Napa Valley - bird watching, keeping track of the whales which breed here in the Spring and planning the next safari into lion country. Add to this a keen interest in sport (World soccer cup to be held here in under 50 days - I will be rooting for the US team) and it does not leave much time over for chores! Corgi’s are a priority too.

Enjoy traveling - France and Italy are the favourites - great food and wine…..

Posted: 22 April 2010 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11
Silke - 21 April 2010 09:13 PM

Oh what a fun thread! Jemoiselle - great cakes, I have to second Rozanne. And I’m in awe of everybody that is a gardener or at least tries to garden with some success! So interesting to have a glimpse in your lives, and thanks for sharing!

What do I do when I’m not baking? I am an engineer, and usually work on the sales and marketing side which often takes me around the world, and which I enjoy very much. When I’m neither traveling nor baking nor hanging out here I’m cooking, mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, hiking, or drinking wine.  grin

Aww thanks Silke! I cannot believe the sophisticated nature of all of you! You all have such amazing lives, amazing hobbies, and incredible travels on top of making fabulous cakes and having astounding blogs. Where do you find the time? lol

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2010 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11
Montanamom123 - 22 April 2010 01:08 PM

Oh wow, what a loving hobby. We are active military (USAF) and know the impact you must have on the recipients. Thank you for helping to take care of the souls of these injured warriors. Gave me one incredible warm fuzzy this morning. Cuba sounds amazing! What an interesting vacation!

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2010 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11
Paul - 22 April 2010 03:59 PM

Living at the bottom tip of Africa - where the two oceans the Indian and the Atlantic meet - South Africa. I am passionate about wild life particularly the magnificent few remaining leopards which roam the mountains here.

Retired - I don’t find enough hours in every day between photography, baking Roses’ magnificent cheesecake, bird watching, keeping track of the whales which breed here in the Spring and planning the next safari into lion country.

Paul, my goodness! That is mind blowing! Your stomping grounds sound so majestic…

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2010 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Linda: That is so generous of you, to gift your quilts. My mom quilts, and I know how much work each one of them is!

Jemoiselle: Not a very sophisticated life, while I always make sure I see something while I’m traveling it’s a lot of lonely jet-lagged nights, too. How do I find the time? I’m cheating. Two years ago, I decided I needed my life back and it worked out that I was able to join a company where I can do what I like part time. And I have no kids, so I have plenty of time to play!

Paul: You guys have great wines in SA! Luckily there’s great wines here in California as well. We’re making our own wine this year by being members in a small winery in Sonoma. Well, there is a winemaker, but we’re having some influence on how it’s fermented and how it’s blended…. We’ll get to taste it Saturday! You should come here to come along! So do you live in Cape Town? I have a friend that’s from there and she misses it every day!

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2010 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

When I’m not baking, I train for and run marathons.  I have to burn off those cake calories somehow!

Posted: 23 April 2010 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Silke - Your wine making sounds most interesting. How long before the maturation process is complete and you can sample your brew?

I have visited Sonoma - was very impressed with the technology and management of the wineries. By the way you should come visit SA - our wine tastings are FREE!

It cost me a fair amount of $$ in the US to taste there . But of course our wine is so much cheaper here. I can buy good wine for $4 -$6 a bottle and at lunch yesterday we quaffed one of the country’s very best red’s (judged “gold” by UK’s Decanter Magazine) for $29! It was superb.

Jemoiselle - Africa is very very different - if you go on safari you will never forget it. A real live Jurassic Park. My treat is visiting the US to dabble in your incredible technology and great restaurants. Did I mention your superb (very cheap) book stores! I could spend my life in Barnes and Noble. Every time I buy one of Rose’s here is costs me about double what you pay.

Cynthia well done on helping those injured military!

2 of 3

‹‹ Need to use heavy cream      Bakery Frosting ››