3 of 3
When you are not baking?
Posted: 23 April 2010 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Paul - we crushed the wine last October. We learned a lot that weekend and the following weekend when we went back for the press. It’s amazing that the same grapes fermented with different yeasts can turn out completely different! We’re making a cab, and the winemaker had last year’s batch there to sample, and the difference was unbelievable, one was a subtle French style wine, the other one big and heavy just like the typical CA or SA wine - with the same grapes. We’ll be back this weekend for the barrel testing, where we can decide on blending, and then we’ll go up again in August for the bottling. The wine then probably needs another year or two before it reaches its prime drinking age.

We live in the Santa Cruz mountains where wine tasting used to be free, now it’s $5, and you get it credited if you buy a bottle - that’s fine I think. I don’t like Napa and Sonoma where they it’s so busy that they have turned their tasting rooms in bars….

Would love to come to SA. Yes, wine prices here are a bit out of line, but if you know what you are doing you get a nice drinkable wine for $12 and a very good wine for $20 to $25.

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 April 2010 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Silke that sounds wonderful - now you need special labels printed with your family crest!

Napa etc is so busy and expensive!

Posted: 23 April 2010 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24
Paul - 23 April 2010 06:18 AM

Silke - Your wine making sounds most interesting. How long before the maturation process is complete and you can sample your brew?

I have visited Sonoma - was very impressed with the technology and management of the wineries. By the way you should come visit SA - our wine tastings are FREE!

It cost me a fair amount of $$ in the US to taste there . But of course our wine is so much cheaper here. I can buy good wine for $4 -$6 a bottle and at lunch yesterday we quaffed one of the country’s very best red’s (judged “gold” by UK’s Decanter Magazine) for $29! It was superb.

Jemoiselle - Africa is very very different - if you go on safari you will never forget it. A real live Jurassic Park. My treat is visiting the US to dabble in your incredible technology and great restaurants. Did I mention your superb (very cheap) book stores! I could spend my life in Barnes and Noble. Every time I buy one of Rose’s here is costs me about double what you pay.

Cynthia well done on helping those injured military!

Thank you, Paul…but it is Linda who does the quilting for the military.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 23 April 2010 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Cynthia -Thanks for correcting me - Well done Linda!

Posted: 23 April 2010 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Paul - I think it’s pretentious enough that we’re making our own wine. We’re trying to keep the label lighthearted and - literally - down to earth grin

Image Attachments
Wine cab front color.jpgwine cab back color.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2010 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Bound to be a good vintage!

Posted: 26 April 2010 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

dont know how late i am on this post…

when i am not baking (which I haven’t baked in 2 months!!), I am taking care of the little one lol. she takes up all my time.  Before she came, my hobbies included riding motorcycles, playing my flute, and reading. I also love love love to hike as i love the mountains! Oh, and swimming and working out.

Posted: 26 April 2010 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Long time no see! You forgot eating a garbage plate!

I’m sure once you’re through the hard first months she’ll make you enjoy all these things much more, bake with her, hike with her, play music with her… With the possible exception of the motorcycles - LOL!

Signature 

Posted: 26 April 2010 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

I’ll get a side car she can ride in that!! just kidding.

Posted: 26 April 2010 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24
SweetNess14445 - 26 April 2010 07:40 PM

I’ll get a side car she can ride in that!! just kidding.

So funny.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 26 April 2010 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
SweetNess14445 - 26 April 2010 07:27 PM

dont know how late i am on this post…

when i am not baking (which I haven’t baked in 2 months!!), I am taking care of the little one lol. she takes up all my time.  Before she came, my hobbies included riding motorcycles, playing my flute, and reading. I also love love love to hike as i love the mountains! Oh, and swimming and working out.

Nice to hear from you Ski smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 30 April 2010 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

Thank you everyone, quilting for injured military/veterans and adopting troops brings me great joy.  It is always better to give than receive, especially for those who give so much!  smile

Signature 

Linda R.

3 of 3

‹‹ Need to use heavy cream      Bakery Frosting ››