Buckwheat version of the basic hearth bread (BB)
Posted: 20 April 2010 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

I bought some buckwheat flour the other day, as I remembered that Rose had a buckwheat variation of the hearth bread. Has anyone made it? I’ve never used buckwheat before, and I didn’t have sour cream on hand, so I didn’t know if I could just substitute buckwheat flour for some of the bread flour without making other adjustments. So, instead, I just made my “normal” version. When I make the basic hearth bread I always use about 50% whole wheat flour, and I add old starter. I’d love to hear from anyone who has worked with buckwheat in their breads.

Posted: 20 April 2010 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Haven’t worked with buckwheat yet in my breads, but it makes the most aMAZING crepes and pancakes! I made pear and walnut pancakes on the weekend with equal amounts unbleached AP, buckwheat flour and sourdough starter that I let “work” for about an hour before adding the other ingredients. Yum!

Despite its name, it’s not actually a wheat. Not even a cereal grain. However, it shares many properties with cereal grain kernels, so is often ground into flour or grits. Roasted kernels are called kasha. You may have seen that. Because of its strong, distinct flavour, dark colour - and most important re: your question, lack of gluten - buckwheat flour is typically used in combination with wheat flour. The usual ratio is one-quarter to one-half buckwheat flour to one part wheat flour.

It would be interesting to try buckwheat as a flavour addition to Rose’s hearth bread recipe. You’d love the breakfast bread options too! Russian pancakes (blini) are traditionally made from buckwheat, as are Breton crepes from the north of France. I’m also mad about the Japanese buckwheat noodles called soba. Wonderful flavour and very good for you.

Posted: 20 April 2010 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve made both of the buckwheat recipes in the bread bible. It wasn’t really my thing, I found the flavor to be too musty/grassy, but if you love that “distinct” flavor as Carolita called it, it might be up your alley smile

Posted: 20 April 2010 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-01

I love kasha, but have never used the “flour.” I’ll try putting some in my next loaf. Thanks.

Posted: 21 April 2010 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

I’ve added buckwheat to my breads, and like Matthew I wasn’t crazy about the flavor. Though crepes with a little of it are amazing, as are blinis.

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 21 April 2010 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-01

I’ve been looking at some recipes, and may try adding it in for 1/4 or 1/5 for starters. I’d hate to make a bread I didn’t like!

Posted: 06 November 2010 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-11-04

Once you have had buckwheat and brown rice pancakes you can’t eat them any other way!