Mousseline
Posted: 20 April 2010 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-01-31

I have made Rose’s Mousseline on a few occassions and have decided that this is all my customers will get from hence forth.  My question is this:  will it hold up to being piped as grass with a grass tip?  I am creating a Hula Girl this week and really don’t want to use “Deocrator’s Buttercream” for the grass skirt.  The flowers will be fondant; the under cake will be “sand” (buttercream mixed with graham cracker crumbs or cake crumbs whichever comes first).  So what do you think?  How about it Bill?

Posted: 20 April 2010 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

I am looking forward to hearing what the replies will be for this thread! I am sorry I cannot add anything useful for you, I have never made a mousseline! I cannot wait to try though, after all these rantings! I can’t wait to see a pic of your hula girl cake! Best of luck!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 20 April 2010 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1094
Joined  2009-05-26

Hi Cyndy, I think mousseline should hold up. I’ve never piped it as grass but I’ve piped it as basketweave twice and it turned out well. The mousseline I made was lemon curd mousseline and the cake was left at room temperature (65-70 degrees) for 5 hours and it hold. The picture of the cake is on my avatar.
I hope you’ll post pic, I’d love to see the cake, I’m sure it’ll be fabulous.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 April 2010 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Yes, it will hold up if it’s not too hot where you are. Even still, keep the cake chilled after decorating and it will be fine. I use mousseline as much as I can. The only time I don’t use it is when I have a request for a sweeter icing or when the weather here gets too humid to pipe my mousseline roses, then I use Wilton’s recipe.

Posted: 21 April 2010 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-05-17

I’ve done all kinds of piping with the IMBC and you can do grass but it has to be on the cool side or the grass sortof melts together. So keep a cold pack handy on the counter for your hands and IMBC. You might have to chill the cake in between or if the grass tip icing gets runny, use a #2 in between.

Colleen

Posted: 23 April 2010 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

AHHHHHHHHHHH!  I’m sorry I didn’t respond sooner…I’ve been a bit crazed and haven’t been on the blog much.  I’ve never piped it as grass…but…next to decorators buttercream, mousseline would be the next most stable.  I have never ever ever had a problem.  I’ve piped it in many shapes, and it always holds just fine at room temperature.  Again…sorry for the delay.  Hope it all turned out well.!