Converting for a 7 inch pan
Posted: 20 April 2010 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-04-06

I need help!  I am making a cake for a fundraiser on Friday to be auctioned off.  I attempted to convert the white velvet butter cake recipe for a 7x2.5 inch pan that was my grandmothers; I only have one pan.  I used all the info. in TCB and did the math to convert the base recipe, but the cake dipped in the center and it fell apart when I took it out of the pan.  I ordered a 7 inch hydrangea topper today from the florist, so I feel committed to making this work.  Should I throw in the towel, switch my topper to a 9 inch?  I would like to re-bake tomorrow; if anyone can help me figure out where I went wrong I would appreciate it.

Posted: 21 April 2010 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi CM874 - there are directions in The Cake Bible on how to make a cake pan, any size you want.  Why don’t you give that a try?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 21 April 2010 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

cm, you could try slightly longer beating times or a reduction in baking powder to eliminate the dipping and strenghten structure.

Good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 21 April 2010 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Rose has written elsewhere that her recipes don’t work well in pans higher than 2”. Since your pan is only half an inch taller, it might work if everything else was in order. If you’d like to try again, these are the adjustments I would make. First, I’ll confirm that we’re talking about the White Velvet Butter Cake, pp 46-7 in The Cake Bible?

1) Divide the ingredients in half since you’re making a single pan rather than two.
2) Make no other adjustment for going to your 7” x 2.5” pan from a 9” x 1.5”. The volume of the two pans is virtually identical.
3) You will, however, need to increase the baking powder by a small amount. The single 9x1.5” pan would use 2 tsp. Use 2 1/4 tsp instead.
4) Baking time is about the same, but probably at the lower end of the range (25 -35 minutes).

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

p.s. added by edit
Just re-read your post and see that you were using the base recipe at the back of the book. Easier to make the adjustments in your case, if you use the recipe pp 46-7. But for future reference, the recipes in the front of the book that are in 1.5” high pans are Rose Factor 3.

Posted: 21 April 2010 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-06

Carolita, Thank you so much!  I am getting ready to try again and you have relieved my cake stress smile  I will let everyone know how it turned out.  I am just starting out in doing cakes as a side business and I am hoping to get some word of mouth business from this event.  Thanks again!

Posted: 27 April 2010 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-06

Well, I followed the recommendations and it still sank slightly in the center once I opened the oven door and tested it.  It still tasted delicious and I just rounded the filling a bit when I stacked the layers.  Thanks for everyone’s advice!

‹‹ Mousseline      Wedding cake advice needed ››