Mill recommendations?
Posted: 20 February 2008 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-02-20

I’m looking for a flour mill for modest home use—I only intend to grind 2-4 cups of flour for breads, particularly whole grains (kamut and rye)—with a minimum of distinguishable particles of bran. 

I realize that there is some subjectivity and that there are aesthetic and functional reasons to buy an $850 Diamant mill, but somewhere just above $100 the sting of throwing away stale flour goes away. 

If it does what I need, the Back to Basics mill looks like it would fit the bill, but I’d appreciate the firsthand knowledge of people who have had some experience with mills in my price range.

Posted: 23 February 2008 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-02-23

Hi, I have used a K-Tec Kitchen Mill for about 15 years. Admittedly, I have not used it heavily as I’ve gone in and out of low-carb diets! Nevertheless, when I use it, I generally grind enough flour to store in the deep freezer for a few months. I’ve ground red winter wheat, white wheat, and duram (seminola) wheat. It works fine. The only problem I have with it is that it is quite loud. However, it will generate about ten pounds of flour in less than 10 minutes plus clean up. Of course there is clean up. I just make sure that I grind my flour before I vacuum. I googled K-Tec Kitchen Mill, and found a picture and description at the Harvest Essentials site. It looks the same as my much older version, although the description says that it is ‘smaller’. They also showed a price of ~$180. Good luck with your search.