What do I make in a 7” x 4” cake pan?
Posted: 22 April 2010 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2009-06-30

I have a 7” x 4” cake pan, which is a nice proportion but I don’t know what I can bake in it. I never see recipes that call for such a size, and I presume that if I put any old cake batter in such an unusual size, it might fall or require a baking time of which I’m not sure. Thoughts? Thanks, Tim

Posted: 23 April 2010 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2010-01-18

A pan this size, combined with cupcakes on the side, or another smallish cake to use up the batter, might make a cute mini-sized cake for some occasion, or as a centrepiece topper on a huge sheet cake. It may also come in handy for a cake sculpture if you ever do one… I am in the process of building a 9 layer 20” high Dalek right now - and believe me I was baking cakes in every conceiveable pan and pot to get the sizes I need! You might have to line the sides with long strips of foil to get a useable depth in that pan - but it works fine. A cake baker can never have too many pans eh?

Posted: 23 April 2010 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2009-06-30

It’s a 7” x 4” round—7” round and 4” high. Thanks so much for all your suggestions! I tend not to bake fruit cakes—usually I bake butter, sponge and pound cakes. I take it that the size just isn’t right for those types?