1 of 2
Simply Egg Whites
Posted: 22 April 2010 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2009-09-09

Has anyone used the egg whites that you can buy in cartons?
It’s just egg whites, I was looking at the ingredients and it just list Egg Whites.

So I suppose they just separate the eggs and sell the whites smile I wonder what they do with the yolks…

I want to make the chocolate angel food cake (TCB)..and it uses so many egg whites…
I was going to make it in a normal springfoam pan because i dont’ have an angel food cake pan.
Hopefully it will be ok smile

Please let me know if anyone has baked using those egg white cartons before.

Posted: 22 April 2010 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

I have baked white cakes using the simply egg whites product you mention, and for whatever reason, mine turned out lacking structure. I saved it by adding quite a bit more flour into the batter, no knowing if it was the recipe or the whites! I did sift the flour directly into the cups instead of doing the typical dip and sweep. The recipe I used didn’t state any particular method, nor provide weights. My prob was most likely flour! I have heard of others using it without issues for cakes.  I haven’t used them in any of Rose’s recipes yet, I don’t know that I would risk it! I hope someone else chimes in here soon!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 22 April 2010 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

I use them all the time. Never had a problem.

Posted: 22 April 2010 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Woo! That is great news! So much more convenient than cracking and separating a billion eggs =) Thank you for chiming in Christine!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 22 April 2010 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2010-01-20

Hi

Yes, I successfully use them all the time. They will usually not give you the volume of fresh eggs alone. To compensate for this, I mix a little powdered egg whites into the liquid egg whites just prior to beating. If you do this, make sure it is well mixed in with no lumps.

Posted: 23 April 2010 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

If I had so many questions about a particular food product, like where do they come from and what happens to the rest of the egg…, I don’t think I would use it.  I am that way with all the food I eat and the ingredients that I use in cooking and baking.  Not only that, they are expensive, costing more than a dozen fresh eggs from the farmers market.  And, what DOES happen to the yolk, I wonder?

Posted: 23 April 2010 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Those whites has been pasteurized by heat, so unless whipping enhancers are added, you won’t get perfect meringues.  I much prefer separating my own and keep whites frozen, which indeed freezing makes whites whip much better than fresh!  Frozen whites (home made) lasts over 1 year frozen.

You can also enhance store bought pasteurized whites by using half half with fresh whites, again, when perfect merigues are desired (plus genoise, angel food, biscuit)

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 23 April 2010 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I’m with Hector.  So many of the recipes I use call for all yolks, or more yolks than whites…I always have left over whites that I save….and when I have a large amount…I make an angel food…or a white cake.  It is very very rare that I end up having to crack and separate eggs for their whites, and not use the yolks.

Posted: 23 April 2010 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

If you decide to use whole eggs, the leftover yolks can be frozen as long as you stir in 1/2 tsp sugar per yolk before freezing.  Perhaps consider making ice cream with them, or lemon curd, or neoclassic bc, or- one of my favorite cakes- the golden genoise, which now takes about 14 yolks.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 23 April 2010 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

The thing is I rarely bake the stuff with more yolks or I always try to find recipes that use whole eggs
That’s why I was wondering about this simply egg white product. The Angel food cakes uses a lot of whites and I won’t be able to use all the yolks when I make 2 of these cakes over the next 2 weeks (one testing and one for my nephew’s birthday)

what other “Whipping Enhancers” are there?
I might consider trying one with these egg whites in carton and another cake was fresh egg whites

Posted: 23 April 2010 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2007-11-18

AGGIE:
  Good morning to you. We used this product in our cake class when I attended culinary college. We also cracked some eggs for the whites as well. I do not remember which recipes we used the fresh cracked eggs for.
Aggie, I did cut out a notation from the egg white carton at that time & I placed it in my class notebook. It says that there are 7, whites to a cup of whites & 1 egg white equals 2 Tbls, it further states that to rely on the shelf life of the product due date stamped on the carton you must keep the temp. between 33 to 40 degrees when in your fridge…otherwise they will go bad sooner then the stated date. I hope this info will help you.

Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID. grin

Posted: 23 April 2010 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2010-01-18

Thanks for everyone’s great input on the topic of Prefab eggwhites! I too have tried them - they definitley don’t do as well for my needs as the fresh ones. I use lots of whites for Meringue Buttercreams, Decorator’s and Royal Icing, so I usually have a plethora of yolks to deal with ... and being so frugal I can’t throw them out (cholesterol be d*$#ed!) I have discovered a wealth of icecream and creme brulee recipes I save them for. YUM! Unfortunately when I needed 35 yolks for a buttercream last year I had none saved, and so had to do them all by hand - altho the kitchen I volunteer in has gotten some sample cartons of yolks too… But good to know about the tip of adding meringue powder - as I don’t like to use fresh whites (Or yolks!) in anything for the church…

Posted: 23 April 2010 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2007-11-18

JEMOISELLE:
  Good morning to you & welcome to our baking forum. I read your posting describing your experiece baking a ANGEL FOOD cake. I am glad it turned out well for you. I think by now you have begun to realize that there is a direct & very strict ratio between whites & flour in order to get the desired baked product. I am certain by now recipes are not all the same & they vary considerably in this ratio…hence the many failures. I will not make any comments on any authors Angel food recipes at this time. But should you have a failure state the recipe & it’s directions & perhaps we will repair that recipe for you.

Good luck in your baking & have a nice day my friend.

~FRESHKID. rolleyes

Posted: 23 April 2010 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Aggie, not sure about the springform pan, but I think I’ve seen angel food cake layers, so I assume it can work. Make sure to cool it upside down on a rack. Have the rack high off the counter (place the corners of the rack on something to hold it up high). You’ll need to know the volume of your pan, and use 1 egg white for each cup of capacity (Rose’s recipes are 16 whites to a 16 cup pan right? trying to remember off the top of my head). I would either make ice cream or even better creme anglaise (try a flavored one from the cake bible) to serve with the cake and use up the yolks.

Posted: 24 April 2010 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Matthew - 23 April 2010 06:51 PM

Aggie, not sure about the springform pan, but I think I’ve seen angel food cake layers, so I assume it can work. Make sure to cool it upside down on a rack. Have the rack high off the counter (place the corners of the rack on something to hold it up high). You’ll need to know the volume of your pan, and use 1 egg white for each cup of capacity (Rose’s recipes are 16 whites to a 16 cup pan right? trying to remember off the top of my head). I would either make ice cream or even better creme anglaise (try a flavored one from the cake bible) to serve with the cake and use up the yolks.

Yeah i’m a little worried now about trying the egg whites and use a pan the book didn’t say to use.
If it fails I wouldn’t know if it’s b/c of the pan or egg whites.
How much mirangue powder would you have to use per egg white from the carton?

I might just try her chocolate chiffon recipe and replace walnut oil with hazelnut oil b/c I don’t have any.
At least I know for sure chiffon can go in a springfoam if I use flower nail

Posted: 24 April 2010 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2010-01-18

I would definitely think twice about using the carton egg whites - the pasteurizing process does something to them so they don’t have the structural integrity of fresh whites and will not beat up as stiffly. They are no cheaper than using fresh eggs! Don’t sweat it about the yolks.. they freeze well and you can also make Hollandaise out of them! Just separate one by one over two little cups to be on the safe side. Also be very sure that your springform is TIGHT and doesn’t leak out the bottom. If I were using that I would put a heat distributing core in the center to allow the cake to “climb” up as it would in a tube pan. It also probably will not rise as high as in an angelfood pan. I’d be more inclined to run right out and invest in a 10” tube pan… one can never have too many baking pans right? But hey - my aunt makes angel food cakes in sheet pans too!

1 of 2