Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-11-05

Starting out, we created four forum categories:

* Kitchen Chatter
* Q & A
* Show and Tell
* Events and Happenings

We’re looking for suggestions for other forum topics.  We can’t promise to use them all, but we’d love to know what you think would be good ways to organize discussions… Share your ideas with us.

Posted: 18 November 2007 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2007-11-17
Travis Smith - 18 November 2007 09:31 AM

* Kitchen Chatter
* Q & A
* Show and Tell
* Events and Happenings

We’re looking for suggestions for other forum topics.  We can’t promise to use them all, but we’d love to know what you think would be good ways to organize discussions… Share your ideas with us.

Hi,

First of all, thanks for starting such a wonderful forum! smile

Suggestions: maybe categories organized to different kinds of baking (cake, bread, cookies, pastry, diet-restricted, etc.)?  This would mirror what Ms Beranbaum already has on her realbaking website.

Thanks again. smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 November 2007 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Yes, I agree.  It would be nice to replicate the categories from the blog.  My preference would be for top-level instead of embedded categories as there already seems to be 2-3 clicks required to get to a message, so subcategories would add an extra layer to that.

One other thing I have noticed.  If I type an ampersand, as in P&PB;, a semicolon is often added when I post.  It seems there is some setting that always treats an ampersand as part of an HTML entity.

Posted: 18 November 2007 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15

Is there a specific prohibition on SPAM in the Terms of Use? (Also, I can’t seem to find the Terms of Use anywhere, am I just missing it? I think it’s a good idea to keep the TOU accessible, to remind people of what’s allowed, and what’s not, no matter how casual things are.)

In my experience, lots of people need a literal minded ‘you can’t put advertising here’ prohibition shoved in their faces before they even begin to acknowledge that the forum owners have rights too.

I agree that Rose’s categories from the blog are quite good, but I do wonder if you’d like to make separate sections for discussions of Rose’s recipes, and for those provided by forum members? (i.e., I’m not sure how much the powers that be care about maintaining this site as a resource specifically about her work. I own all her cookbooks and use them regularly, so I won’t run out of things to talk about in any case. Some forums have so many restrictions about what’s ‘allowed’ that I just don’t see the point of signing up. I get the feeling that this forum’s a bit more casual, and that’s good, IMO.)

I agree about minimizing the amount of click through. Some forums I’ve seen have so many subdivided categories I just can’t keep up. Logical patterns are all well and good, but I prefer a simple layout.

Posted: 18 November 2007 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Travis Smith - 18 November 2007 09:31 AM

How about Photos of Rose’s Recipes!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 November 2007 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

I’d like to see an “Introduction” sub-forum, where new and old members can introduce themselves properly. Most forums have such a sub-forum.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 November 2007 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-11-17

I do agree that we should have more categories to choose from instead of searching imbedded threads.  I think the original 4 categories are important.  But we should have DISCUSSIONS with categories that pertain to each type of baking: Bread, Muffins/Quickbreads, Pies/Tarts, Cakes, Cookies and maybe….add a category for just plain cooking (savory). These categories could be in a drop-down menu at the top of the page.  We can then talk about what type of baking we are passionate about.  This is a great forum and we all will have fun and learn from each other.  Lorraine

Posted: 19 November 2007 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18
Roxanne - 18 November 2007 11:05 PM

I’d like to see an “Introduction” sub-forum, where new and old members can introduce themselves properly. Most forums have such a sub-forum.

And also include a thread for common online abbreviations used, such as IMO (in my opinion) ... but also terms and abbreviations that may only be applicable to a baking forum, i.e., “KA” (Kitchen Aid).

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 19 November 2007 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Good idea.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 19 November 2007 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

i am not very experienced working on computers but most forums I’ve been on have a word or phrase to press to take you back to the top without scrolling up . Do I make myself understood?  I’m sure there’s a better way of describing what I mean.

Posted: 20 November 2007 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2007-11-15

As an old hand at forums, I concur - keep it as simple as possible.  Don’t subcategorize the forums too much, although they will benefit from some specification (i.e. cakes, bread, pies and pastry, cookies and perhaps even savory recipes).  I also hope the forum owners won’t keep the members from posting and discussing their own recipes, which would probably be an exercise in futility anyway (I’ve already seen one recipe and a request for another and I haven’t been able to browse the forums as much as I’d like to yet).  There should be a section dedicated to this, if allowed.

You’re going to need an off-topic section, as well, trust me, or there’s gonna be a whole lotta thread-jackin’ goin’ on.

Signature 

Save the earth.  It’s the only planet with chocolate.

Posted: 20 November 2007 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-15

... or there?s gonna be a whole lotta thread-jackin? goin? on

Is anyone actively moderating ... with the ability to split/move/merge threads?

Posted: 20 November 2007 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-11-15
Kate - 20 November 2007 01:42 PM

Is anyone actively moderating ... with the ability to split/move/merge threads?

As far as I can tell, just Travis - but like I said, I haven’t had the opportunity to peruse the forums as well as I’d like (I’ve got a house full of semi-adult children and a huge dinner to cook Thursday LOL).

Signature 

Save the earth.  It’s the only planet with chocolate.

Posted: 20 November 2007 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2007-11-17

Having a Foto Gallery would be great!  That way all the foto’s would be in one place and easy to view and search.
Thanks,
Lori V.

Signature 

We should enjoy Today while it’s here because someday Today will be a Long Time Ago!
Pastries By Vreeke

Posted: 06 December 2007 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-12-06

After using this site as a guest and posting 2 questions; one of which has been answered very promptly and I am eagerly awaiting an answer from the last one, I have a suggestion about the search function.  I wanted to find my last posts regarding preferments in a sweet bread, I typed in preferment(s) and that could not be found.  Please advise how your search function works—maybe a short tutorial on using the site would be helpful—such as a FAQ or have I missed something?

Many thanks!

baba/Tanya

Posted: 06 December 2007 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Baba - according to your profile, you’ve only made on post.  Maybe your other posts were on the blog - go to the top of this page and click on “Rose’s Blog”.  That will bring you to another page, which contains a differnt search box.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

1 of 2