1 of 2
Buttercream Roses
Posted: 27 April 2010 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Here is my attempt at piping rose from buttercream. The buttercream is the chocolate egg-white buttercream from RHC. The cake is the designer baby grand cake base (essentially the german chocolate cake). I think I overbeat the cake batter a bit, they all ended up with a little mounded top, which is actually make it easier to attach the bc roses.

I had a lot of fun piping these roses. I use the wilton decorating book as guide, though mine look very far from the picture in the book LOL. But oh well, it’s a first try and it was fun. I’m hoping I’ll get better as I do more. Hm now I need to make some mousseline and try to pipe that!

Image Attachments
DSC03983_m_S.jpgDSC03988_m_s.jpgDSC03998_ m_s.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 April 2010 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Nice work.  I think they are amazing for a first go…and with an icing as soft as that, I am amazed.  YOu will find that piping roses is much easier with a stiff icing…I’m very impressed.

Posted: 27 April 2010 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Nice job, Jenn, I like those a lot!  The chocolate color with the silver is elegant and beautiful.  Did you pipe them on a nail?  Or directly on the cupcake?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 27 April 2010 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Bill! Thanks Julie!
Bill, it is very soft, but I think since this buttercream has a lot of chocolate (the most chocolate on Rose’s bc), it might hold better to pipe than other buttercream. Don’t know for sure as I haven’t tried piping other bc.

Julie, I did this on no 7 nail, with a little parchment square on it. I used a little dab of bc to glue the parchment on the nail. I held the nail with my left hand and the piping bag with my right hand, pretty much as the instruction said. I thought it would be hard to pipe and hold the bag with one hand but it’s actually not too bad. I filled up the 12 inch bag about 1/2 full with bc.
Then after I’m done, I put the roses in the freezer for 10-15 minutes until it’s hard enough to peel off the parchment. Then put a little dab of bc on the cupcake mound and attach the rose. Then refrigerate the whole thing for 1/2 hour until I was ready to take pictures cheese .

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2010 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

So pretty, I’ve yet to tackle piped Roses myself, congrats!

Posted: 27 April 2010 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Very beautiful! I’m with Matthew, I’ve yet to tackle them, though they look pretty scary grin  To make, that is.

How did you like the buttercream? That’s the one I made with the chili flavored chocolate, and I loved it!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 27 April 2010 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Silke! It was scary to me too, but I’ve been wanting to try it after seeing beautiful buttercream roses on this forum. And I thought why not! The sooner I started, the sooner I can hone my skills. Honestly, bread is scarier to me than this.

I love the buttercream. It’s amazing to me how chocolate-y and light it tastes. I almost forgot that I am eating butter. I paired it last year with the chocolate butter cupcakes but I like this pairing better.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2010 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11
Jenn - 27 April 2010 02:16 PM

Here is my attempt at piping rose from buttercream. The buttercream is the chocolate egg-white buttercream from RHC. The cake is the designer baby grand cake base (essentially the german chocolate cake). I think I overbeat the cake batter a bit, they all ended up with a little mounded top, which is actually make it easier to attach the bc roses.

I had a lot of fun piping these roses. I use the wilton decorating book as guide, though mine look very far from the picture in the book LOL. But oh well, it’s a first try and it was fun. I’m hoping I’ll get better as I do more. Hm now I need to make some mousseline and try to pipe that!

Jenn those are so beautiful! I wish I could have one! Great job working with such a soft icing, as others have said. I haven’t made any of Rose’s buttercreams, but can see from the pics what skill it must have taken! The edges of the petals are so smooth. Thank you for sharing, and keep the pics coming! I want to see the mousseline too! Forgive me if I misspelled that! =P

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 27 April 2010 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Great job, Jenn. They look awesome!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 April 2010 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Great Job, Jenn.. and some good tips you provided.  I never would have thought of refrigerating them before removing to cake.  I can hardly wait to give it a try.  I am so not good at piping. 

Matthew, I can hardly wait to see you do it.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 28 April 2010 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

I put mine in the freezer, too, makes for much easier handling when you transfer to the cake (or cupcake!). There is a good video on Wilton’s site for piping roses but it doesn’t seem like you’ll be needing it!

Posted: 28 April 2010 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. You’re all making me blush red face.
I’m having a rough week at work and your comments definitely make my week feel better! Thanks again.

Bernadette, thanks for the tip about the video. I’ll check it out. I got the wilton decorating book but the instructions are a bit confusing to me so I was only following the pictures. The video will definitely help.

Signature 

Posted: 28 April 2010 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Jenn here’s the video link. It’s a terrible video for clarity but the technique explanation is good.  BC roses

Posted: 29 April 2010 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Jenn - I’d happily sample one of those wonderful cupcakes!  Btw, I had the same doming problem when I baked that recipe too.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 20 June 2012 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-06-20

Have you seen this technique for buttercream roses before?

ann’s butter cream roses

and this one gives a bit of a different look…

super easy buttercream roses

Posted: 22 June 2012 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2012-05-23

Hey nice videos! Im starting to be more and more interested in decoration, one member from this forum gave me nice tips how to do it and im starting to like it.

Signature 

The way to man’s heart is trough his stomach!

Franchise Takeaway

1 of 2

‹‹ Not really baking      Un-birthday cake ››