1 of 2
My first try with fondant…
Posted: 28 April 2010 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-01-09

This is the cake I made for my sister’s winter wedding…it was my first ever attempt at making and using fondant and mousseline buttercream. I was very nervous about the fondant, but it was much easier than I anticipated. I found that it was much easier to color the fondant evenly by adding the food coloring to the gelatin mixture than kneading it in after the fondant was finished. I also was nervous about the mousseline, it didn’t seem to taste right to me at first, but after chilling in the refrigerator for a while it was much better. I made the bottom tier chocolate with a coffee flavored mousseline filling, the next tier was almond with a raspberry mousseline, and the two smallest tiers were carrot cake with maple mousseline. I know it sounds like a lot of crazy flavors, but my sister wanted everyone to be able to choose their favorite, but the restaurant ended up serving all three flavors in tiny servings for each guest, and they ended up looking so pretty all together on the plate…I wish I had a picture of that! I almost couldn’t believe I had made it because they plated it so pretty. The decorations are mostly made of buttercream except the small snowflakes on the bottom tier. I made them of royal icing and when they hardened i put them onto the cake. (I am not a very good piper, hopefully I’ll get better with practice.) Also there are a few silver dragees and the ribbon around the bases.  I made a sloppy mistake when I was stacking the tiers, so the pillars aren’t lined up straight and I was so angry at myself because I should’ve noticed that, but honestly I was so worried about it falling over that all I was considering was getting it up. If I ever do another tiered cake I’m sure that I will remember how silly of a mistake I made so hopefully that mistake will never be made again.

Image Attachments
CAKE.jpgCAKE2.jpg

Posted: 28 April 2010 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Wow, I think it is beautiful! Totally amazing that this is your first time working with these items (and I would have never noticed anything about the tiers had you not mentioned it smile )

Posted: 28 April 2010 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  780
Joined  2007-11-15

I think it looks absolutely beautiful, I would have been thrilled with a cake like this!

Posted: 28 April 2010 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-09

Thanks…I appreciate it. Hopefully not too many people at the wedding noticed either. At least they all knew it was my first try, so I think even if they had noticed they wouldn’t have hurt my feelings by saying so!

Posted: 28 April 2010 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Beautiful cake! I love the colour. You did an amazing job.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 28 April 2010 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Great job! First everything, huh? I love it that the restaurant served tiny portions of all the flavors on one plate. I did a three flavor wedding cake, the restaurant served normal size portions, and they didn’t even ask what people wanted, they just slammed it on the tables. Everybody liked what they had, so naturally they wanted to taste the other flavors, and then the cake was gone before everybody tasted everything - bummer…

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 April 2010 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

That’s beautiful and you sure are brave!  I’m trying fondant for the first time this weekend, but not for anything as stressful as a wedding.  Your sister is very lucky!

Posted: 28 April 2010 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1211
Joined  2009-11-24

That is very very pretty.  Hard to believe it was your first time with fondant.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 28 April 2010 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-01-09

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. It was very stressful to try new recipes for her wedding, and it took a lot longer than I expected…so it was tense in the end. But I read a lot of tips from this site and everyone’s comments made it seem possible. I’m glad I tried the real fondant, too, because a lot of other sites kept insisting that marshmallow fondant was easier, but I tried that for a baby shower cake a few months ago and it was a total disaster. If I had tried that at first I probably wouldn’t have had the courage to go for the real thing!

Posted: 29 April 2010 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Oh my goodness.  THat cake is GORGEOUS!  First try?  I’m amazed.  I think your piping looks great!  (and it always gets better the more you do it)  but this cake looks very professional.  Could have come from any bakery.  Really. I once took a class in piping and one of the things the instructor said was: “go into a bakery and look at the quality of the piping…really look at it”  Her point was, that it often isn’t very good when you really look at it. LOL

You did a stunning job.  Congratulations.

Posted: 29 April 2010 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

It’s lovely! Well done with the fondant! Very pretty pale shade of blue with the snowflakes. Pat yourself on the back!

Bill thanks for that tidbit, maybe I should print it out and paste it on my fridge, I’d feel better when I decorate!!

Posted: 29 April 2010 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Beautiful cake, just lovely.  Love the design as well as the execution, congratulations!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 29 April 2010 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

AntieTee, FANTASTIC! I cannot believe this is your very first time working with fondant! You are pretty brave, as well hehe. I love your design, and the flavors sound out of this world.Congratulations! Now go breathe a breath of fresh air and relax after that!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 29 April 2010 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2599
Joined  2007-11-15

Wow - I’m really impressed.  You did a wonderful job!!

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 29 April 2010 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

What a gorgeous cake!!  I can’t believe it was your first time working with fondant and buttercream.  There is no way one would know.  How lucky your sister is to have had that cake from you.

Posted: 30 April 2010 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-04-30

Wow - your cake is beautiful!! First try with fondant?? You give me hope.  cheese I want to try fondant for a birthday cake very soon - and I’ve never used it before.

Fantastic!

Signature 

Lynne

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
Ernestine Ulmer

1 of 2