Fruit concentrate for pies
Posted: 29 April 2010 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-04-29

Hi, everyone! I looked at Rose’s recipe for glazed strawberry pies, and it calls for cranberry/raspberry concentrate. It also said that it is possible to make concentrate from the actual fruit itself. Would you recommend making the concentrate from fresh fruit or buying the concentrate from manufacturers? Which would yield a better product, and which would be more cost-effective? I’m new to baking, so I am not quite familiar with these ingredients. Even though I have already tried looking them up online, I am not sure which online article would be most reliable. Could you please point me to a good recipe for homemade concentrate or good concentrate manufacturers? For manufactured concentrate, what would be a good degree of concentration to use (2x, 3x, etc)? Also, is it possible to make concentrate from purees? I am having trouble finding concentrates at local grocery stores. Thanks, and sorry for the trouble!

Posted: 29 April 2010 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

She’s just talking about frozen juice concentrate you find with the frozen orange juice. I’ve never found cranraspberry, so I usually just use cranberry. I wouldn’t bother making it yourself, I don’t think it would be worth the trouble for how these are used.

Posted: 30 April 2010 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Also, if you’re looking to make a strawberry pie, try the double strawberry pie, I prefer it over the glazed one.