1 of 2
NO SUGAR policy at my niece’s school
Posted: 29 April 2010 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

they heard the word cake, and they freaked out!  i’ve dropped off 24 chocolate butter cupcakes to my niece’s class for her birthday today.  each cupcake was down-sized to financier bite-size.  each frosted with a quarter coin size of german chocolate filling.  the cake was confiscated, and will be given to my niece at the end of class.

real sugar is NOT bad for you.  kids should be thought FIRST about portion control and eating REAL food.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 29 April 2010 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

I agree 100%!!!! 
I think the world is too caught up in ‘diet’ things…I mean, look how many people are drinking diet soda, low fat this, low calorie that…..its funny, most of them ARE heavy themselves. I think that everyone should be taught to eat REAL food, (including real butter) and to just not have too much!!

Posted: 29 April 2010 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Oh so sad what happened Hector! They’re afraid that the kids will be bouncing off the walls after eating the cupcakes? Sadly is that those cupcakes would sure have much less sugar than store-bought anything.
Ski, I do notice that the people who eat no sugar, diet stuff are heavy themselves. People have misconception about food! I believe in eating real food and eating anything I want, in moderation.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 April 2010 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

I agree. A friend of mine read me the list of the a-la-carte menu for the school lunch they had to pick from: Pizza, hot dogs, and similar items. It was all highly processed food. She does a great job in raising their kids, obviously, because the 5 year old girl came home and asked her to pack her lunch, and that she couldn’t eat that, because it was junk food. And this isn’t some rough inner city neighborhood where there is no money for the school, this is in a well off Silicon Valley suburb. Sad.

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 April 2010 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Oh and on the real food: I think so many people don’t know how to make real food, they think making real food is cooking pasta with a jar of sauce, as opposed to microwaving some TV dinner. (Of course I know I’m a bit extreme, I just tasted my rillette that I made from the knee of the quarter heritage pig I got, of course on homemade bread). But I think times are changing, with the travelling I do: It used to be really hard to find nice restaurants if you got too far inland, and now they are everywhere!

But I’m sure that you niece enjoyed the cupcakes after school!!!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 April 2010 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2010-01-20

I agree with you, Hector! I am still allowed to occasionally bring small treats into the classroom because I make them at a friend’s certified kitchen. The kids are always amazed at the flavor, and are very observant about quality differences! Their comments are great!

Posted: 30 April 2010 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

This is utterly ridiculous. I have a certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition from Cornell, and can tell you the processed often deep fried junk they feed those poor babies at schools is far more harmful than enjoying homemade treats on special occasions. They feed that disease promoting diet to them every day while brainwashing them to believe it’s healthy for them! Shame on them. What hypocrites. I’m sorry =(

ETA: Hector, you are SO sweet for doing this for her. She must feel so loved!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 30 April 2010 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Sorry to hear this Hector! These food control policies are getting out of CONTROL!

Posted: 30 April 2010 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Down with the Food Police!

OK, seriously, my daughter’s school has a no candy policy, yet they serve dessert three days a week and offer chocolate milk as a choice every day in the cafeteria.  Entrees include corn dogs, white flour waffles swimming in artificial syrup, deep fried chicken nuggets with french fries, all sorts of stuff that I would never, ever serve as a main course.  I think an emphasis on quality and portion control is so much more effective than restricting a single element. 

Hector, your niece is so lucky to have you bring her treats, I hope she handed them out to her friends as soon as the bell rang!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 30 April 2010 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-17

Was it really the sugar that was the problem? At my kids school it would be the nuts in the German chocolate cake filling. The school policy is no nuts.
The teachers also ask that you not bring cake etc. not so much for the sugar content but because kids who are allergic to nuts/eggs/milk will feel left out. Little kids find it really hard to be left out/singled out.
Here is a list of potential problems with bringing cake into the classroom-
1 allergy concerns
2 food safety- food prepared in home kitchens is often not allowed
3 pests- some schools discourage food because of mice/insect control problems
4 extra work for the teacher- clean up of cake/children
5 it is disruptive to the learning environment -if every parent did this that would be 30 birthdays a year

It is a really thoughtful and kind gesture and meant well but teachers often have good reasons for their decisions.

Posted: 30 April 2010 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

I’m sorry to hear that Hector.  We definitely are a society where we have lost sight of eating healthy through tons of processed food and lack of proportion.  Looks like you’ll just have to have a party for her!

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 30 April 2010 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

do all of your areas’ schools accept baked goods???  Just a thought, but schools around here, you are not allowed to bring any treats in unless they are bought from a store and in a package

Posted: 30 April 2010 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Blamed if you do and blamed if you don’t!  Thx all for your feedback.  Jan thx for bringing up the guideline, i find whoever wrote it is completelly RIDICULOUS and ignorant.  We live in a society where NO sells better.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 30 April 2010 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

I don’t like very much reality TV. But the Jamie Oliver Food Revolution hooked me. Especially the first and last episodes. In the first show it was horrifying to learn what school lunch/breakfast programs feed children. In the last show after they changed the menu it was horrifying to learn how parents responded to the new menu. “Home made” lunches which consisted of processed chemicals in brightly colored plastic trays.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 30 April 2010 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11
Gene - 30 April 2010 05:15 PM

I don’t like very much reality TV. But the Jamie Oliver Food Revolution hooked me. Especially the first and last episodes. In the first show it was horrifying to learn what school lunch/breakfast programs feed children. In the last show after they changed the menu it was horrifying to learn how parents responded to the new menu. “Home made” lunches which consisted of processed chemicals in brightly colored plastic trays.

Gene, to add to this, we studied in class at about how school lunch bribe funds, oops I mean support funds available to them. IN essence, our children’s health and longevity, cancer risk, heart disease risk etc is their sacrificial lamb for easy MONEY. So all the excuses and reasons in the world about the why’s and why not’s of this situation come down to dependence, greed, agenda pushing, and control. Control being the most important one here!

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 30 April 2010 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Jemoiselle,
I couldn’t agree more. The public was told that the federal government needed to fund school lunches. Now we learn that the real agenda was plush government contracts for agribusiness. Politicians get to feel sanctimonius. Bureaucrats get fat paychecks for pushing paperwork. Our children will live shorter lives than their parents for the first time in U.S. history.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

1 of 2