Food Mills
Posted: 30 April 2010 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I made Rose’s Raspberry puree today and I am going to use it in the raspberry fruit cloud as a filling for a cake.  I do not have a food mill to remove the seeds.  Any recommendations would be helpful.  I tried pushing it through a fine mesh strainer and it did not work at all.  (Wondering if my strainer was too fine)

Posted: 30 April 2010 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

The fine mesh will work, just plan on doing it for about 10 minutes with a spatula smile Patrincia uses a centrifugal juicer, and I have started doing that too, and find it works well, but you have to let it spin for about the same amount of time—it is slow to come out. Rose recommend another device for doing this, I forget the name now, but she posted it on the main blog somewhere. It is some sort of strainer with used for canning, and you can buy a berry screen attachment for it.

Posted: 30 April 2010 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

I use a very fine strainer, and it takes quite a while.  In the end, it is worth it though.  Usually I do it a few days ahead of time and just have it in the refrigerator.

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 30 April 2010 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I’ve used the strainer too, and as Matthew and Linda have mentioned, it takes a while, 15 minutes or so. I have a food mill but it doesn’t work very well and I find it takes almost as long, and more of a pain to clean it. So I prefer using the strainer.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 30 April 2010 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

i use the kitchenaid food and vegetable strainer.  it isn’t perfect.  run it 2 or 3 times until it gets stuck with just seeds.  it leaves the right amount of seeds for conserve.  for puree, run it thru a fine mesh strainer which will be very easy to go thru since the product is already milled and near seedless.

i also have the back to basics, as recommended by Rose.  haven’t used it yet but looks fabulous, big and sturdy.

now i “buy” it already done from spoon.com

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 02 May 2010 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I am with Hector on this one. The Kitchenaid mixer attachment isn’t perfect but it is a big time and effort saver.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 06 May 2010 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I eventually did get it to pass through my fine strainer.  It took quite a while, but I ended up with a beautiful seedless puree.  I see that Rose recommends the back to basics food strainer in TCB, but in RHC’s she recommends the Lehman’s food mill.  Does anyone know if one is better than the other.