Substitute for instant yeast
Posted: 21 February 2008 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-02-21

I am reading through The Bread Bible another fantastic book by Rose [is there anything that she can’t do] and I don’t have instant yeast on hand can I substitute active yeast.  If so, what are the proportions.
Thanks.

Posted: 21 February 2008 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

The information is right there in the BB.  Look up yeast in the ingredient section in the back of the book.

Posted: 23 February 2008 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Page 562 of the Bread Bible:

To convert recipes calling for instant yeast to active dry yeast:  Use 1.25 times the weight; or, for 1 teaspoon instant yeast, use about 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast.

To convert recipes calling for active dry yeast to instant yeast:  Use 0.67 times the weight; or, for 1 teaspoon active dry yeast, use 3/4 teaspoon instant yeast.

To Convert recipes calling for fresh compressed yeast to instant yeast:  Use 0.32 times the weight; or, for 1 packed tablespoon (21 grams) fresh yeast, use 2 teaspoons instant yeast.

Page 443 of the Cake Bible:
For 0.25-ounce package of active dry yeast, substitute 1 packed tablespoon (0.75 ounce) compressed fresh yeast

For 1 packed tablespoon (0.75 ounce) compressed fresh yeast, substitute 1 packed tablespoon plus 1 packed teaspoon (1 ounce) thawed frozen compressed fresh yeast

Note:

1 package of active dry yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons = .25 ounce = 7 grams.

1 package of compressed fresh yeast = .6 ounce = 17 grams.

If recipe calls for dry yeast, x 2.42 is amount of fresh yeast needed.

If recipe calls for fresh yeast, x .41 is amount of dry yeast needed.

Using volume, you need 1.4 times the volume of packed fresh yeast to replace dry.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com