1 of 2
Do you cook for yourself when you are alone?
Posted: 04 May 2010 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

I have many friends that are great cooks, but they all think that I’m a bit odd because I make real meals for myself when hubby is traveling. What’s your take on this?

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 May 2010 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I don’t cook as elaborate when I’m alone but I do cook. I was raised with home cooked meals so now on my own I can’t not cook.

When I started college (years ago!) I lived in the dorm, and it drive me crazy not having a kitchen. I only lasted 6 months, then moved out to an apartment. Back then everyone thought I’m strange for wanting to cook.
Well, even now I have friends who thinks I’m crazy for spending my weekend cooking and baking.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 May 2010 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

i only cook pasta when i am alone. Mainly because my husband doesn’t care for pasta and i lOVE it, so its like a treat when he is gone- i get to eat pasta.
Other than that, I usually have cereal for dinner when hes gone!

Posted: 04 May 2010 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

I do cook when I am alone, and often use it an excuse for a meatless meal, or something involving olives, because my husband doesn’t feel satisfied with a main course unless there is meat, and hates olives. I have always been like this though, long before I was married. I just use cooking alone as an excuse for indulgence of my own preferences without compromise….and really enjoy it. I rarely make something elaborate. Has anyone read Judith Jones’ book on cooking for one? Or Deborah Madison’s book about eating alone?

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 04 May 2010 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Jenn - luckily my dorm had a kitchen, I guess it’s different in Germany. My friends now think it’s great I love to bake and cook, because they get the full advantage.

Ski - if I start eating cereal I can’t stop, so I have a cereal free home… grin

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2010 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Silke what kind of cereal do you like? I am fond of any sort of bran type cereal, with fruit in it. You are right i could eat two huge bowls of it…...every day. thats why i only have it for DINNER if i have it at all!

Posted: 04 May 2010 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

When my husband travels I have sort of a curious habit- I pick one thing I want to spend a lot of time on and just make a large portion of that, with nothing else (except maybe a glass wine).  Usually it’s a side dish like a fresh vegetable.  When everyone’s home I need to make several different things to make up a complete dinner, so the veggies just get a brief sautee with very little effort or imagination.  Given free rein, it’s a nice change of pace to do something more elaborate (and tasty) with just one dish.  Also, my husband is an enthusiastic carnivore, so it’s nice to take a break from meat.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 04 May 2010 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

I guess I’m lucky with a husband that eats everything I put in front of him, meat or not, carbs or not, sweet or salty…. With the one exception of braised red cabbage (don’t ask, I don’t think he knows why)

Yes, I also tend to make large amounts of broccoli or cauliflower - but thinking about it I also do that when he’s around. It’s really not so different what I make when he’s here as opposed to when he’s gone. I used to go out and buy a big bag of kettle chips and cottage cheese, and then roll up with a good book and my kettle chips and scoop up the cottage cheese. Not good for my figure, and probably not very healthy. So instead I make sure I make something satisfying so I don’t get snack attacks. And that gives me a great excuse to stand in the kitchen and do a little cooking therapy!

Will check out the books on eating alone, thanks Rachel!

Ski - I go for corn flakes. I fill a bowl with them, pour milk over them, then either the milk or the flakes are gone first, so I have to add more, then I have to add more of the other component - you see that it doesn’t take a good turn and I’m safer without any around grin

Signature 

Posted: 04 May 2010 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

hahah I do the same thing!!

Posted: 04 May 2010 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

When I am alone, I revel in being able to eat whatever I want.  If I want popcorn for dinner, it’s ok.  Or ice cream.  Or pasta with vodka sauce.  or a huge salad of spring mix greens and dried cranberries, chopped green apples, pecans, blue cheese and raspberry vinegarette (no one in my family likes this salad.  I cannot figure out why.)  And Julia Child’s lentil salad (that is addictive.  I can eat the entire thing myself over the course of a few days.)

Right now I am eating whole fruit lime bars.  It’s humid and thunderstorms are rolling through so there’s no a/c on and popsicles are the perfect thing for a dinner alone!!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 04 May 2010 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Jeanne - that salad sounds lovely! Can I come by for dinner?

Mona - sounds like my dad. I can’t believe my mom manages to cook for him almost every day, since 50 years. I get very frustrated when I cook for him because my husband is so easy. Though on the other hand he’s easy to please with easy standard dishes - but after a week of that I need some more exotic flavors and textures back in my life!

Ok, after all that talk about what to eat alone I think I’ll have some red cabbage slaw with my new discovery of milk mayonnaise as dressing and some leftover quinoa for dinner. And tomorrow I’ll have a pork chop from my quarter heritage pig with a huuuuuge side of broccoli, and then I’ll have dinner companions again!

Signature 

Posted: 05 May 2010 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

It is good for those of you who like to cook to do so.  Much much healthier.  Meanwhile, I really only like to cook for entertaining.  From time to time, I will cook something nice for myself.  But since I live alone, I usually have to be willing to eat whatever I cook for more than one meal.  I do need to look up those books on cooking for one.  Hopefully, they do not dirty as many dishes.  That is my other reason for not liking to cook. 

Home cooking is so much better.  But even so, as I write this, I am grabbing my purse to go grab a carry out meal.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 May 2010 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I usually heat up leftovers when I’m alone, but that’s because we always have leftovers in the fridge.  When I was single, I cooked for myself all the time.  However, I do indulge in Chinese take-out from time to time.  smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 June 2010 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-06-16

How sad that your friends do not cook for themselves when they are alone!  I don’t think you are weird in the slightest. Just because one is alone does not mean they shouldn’t eat quality food. 

Tell them, “You are always worth it!”

Posted: 17 June 2010 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Yes!  I make all kinds of strange concoctions, and they all involve curry.  Always a mix of veggies, cooked to oblivion, and curried.  It’s almost like a thick soup.  Sometimes with meat, sometimes without.  Don’t ask me why this appeals to me so—probably becuase we always eat lots of veggies lightly cooked and basically unseasoned!!!  It probably reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother would make stew and I’d mash the peas, carrots and potatoes into the gray part to make it really thick!

Posted: 17 June 2010 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
Mona, the Bangalore Baker - 04 May 2010 11:35 PM

I cook when alone, sometimes nicer food than when my husband is home! I like spices and sauces and experimenting with new dishes and tastes, he just wants to eat “normal” food and not mess around—especially when he’s hungry.

I’m beginning to wonder if we are sharing the same husband LOL

1 of 2