2 of 2
Do you cook for yourself when you are alone?
Posted: 17 June 2010 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Missyjean!  LOL!  I think you might be right!!!

Posted: 17 June 2010 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I think so too..if it has flavor, my husband doesn’t want it. He can’t take garlic, it bothers his tummy..lemon or line give him blisters on his lips..he won’t eat red or green peppers…HELP!!..however, I am slowly introducing tiny amounts in my cooking and hoping he won’t have any bad effects from it.

Posted: 17 June 2010 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Great idea, Missy!  My hub couldn’t eat raw apples or oranges, and he started by just eating the tiniest sliver each day, then a little more and then a little more, and now he can eat them in any amount with no problem.  Ditto raw and cooked red/green peppers.

Posted: 17 June 2010 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

My husband can’t do oranges either…something about the acidity forms blisters on his inner-lips. His kids have the same condition.

If I do use garlic, I will use much less than is called for in the recipe. If he doesn’t know I used it, he’ll love the dish cool grin  but if he finds out…...

Posted: 19 June 2010 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

I live alone so I make meals by myself all the time. I’ll admit that most of the time I keep it simple with something like frozen lasagna thrown into the oven or ramen spiced up with some sort of meat and vegetables. But I really enjoy cooking, so every now and then I’ll make a nice meal with steak, chicken or fish and some appropriate sides for the given meat. However, breakfast foods are my favorites so I often make breakfast foods for dinner. My favorite is biscuits and gravy. I use Alton Brown’s recipe for buttermilk biscuits and a recipe for sausage gravy that my paternal grandmother taught me how to make. I also love waffles, pancakes and breakfast cereals with Crispix, Corn Flakes and Cheerios being my favorites. So no, silke, I do not think you are weird for cooking for just yourself. Just because your by yourself doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy a good meal, especially if you enjoy cooking. I love cooking and baking, it’s the clean up I hate!

Posted: 25 July 2010 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-07-25

My husband and I are newly married (1st anniversary in two weeks!) and still working out the food thing. I was raised in a southern family where my mom was (and still is) an amazing cook who made dinner for us every night (she worked FT too.) I’ve struggled with that vs my husband, who loves to eat but is equally happy with homemade lasagna or a bowl of cereal. It frustrated me for a while that he wasn’t more bowled over by having a hot meal every night - I mean, lots of guys would be totally jealous of that! smile

These days, I am working full-time with another part-time gig, plus trying to get a baking business off the ground eventually. I appreciate having someone who is so laid back. On days off and he has friends over, I make sure to cook for him/them so he can bask in the attention it gets him. Even pancakes, these guys are amazed. LOL!

I do cook for myself sometimes, especially spicy things he can’t eat (acid reflux) like hot curries and chili. He also hates eggs, so on mornings when I work early mornings and he’s asleep, I make a big plate of scrambled whites and veggies with some cheese and enjoy!

Posted: 25 July 2010 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

My husband and I are newly married (1st anniversary in two weeks!)

Congratulations! Happy anniversary!  Are you making a cake or eating the top of your wedding cake?

equally happy with homemade lasagna or a bowl of cereal.

True confession time:  I cook every meal we eat, but cereal is one of my favorite things on the entire planet.  I’m with your hub on this one!!!  I, too, would be equally happy with either—- and I’m Italian!

I mean, lots of guys would be totally jealous of that!

You know his pancake-scarfing friends are!!!

These days, I am working full-time with another part-time gig, plus trying to get a baking business off the ground eventually.

Holy cow!

Even pancakes, these guys are amazed.

“Even” pancakes?  Sister, you have hit the holy grail of man food with pancakes! One of my faves, too!

I make a big plate of scrambled whites

Oh, make sure you use those leftover yolks to make a gateau breton!  That thing is AMAZING!!!

Posted: 25 July 2010 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

LOL!! I don’t think I am ever alone.  There is always someone here.  I usually cook well balanced dinners during the week for my family.  I do not cook on the weekends that I work.  My husband is home with the kids during those weekends…he can cook.  I mean, he used to be a cook in the army, sometimes cooking for 1,000 people.  I think he can manage a couple of dinners for 4 people.  Actually, he is a very good cook.

But when the opportunity arises that I am by myself….I usually make something quick and easy.  Toasted tomato and cucumber sandwiches, or soft boiled eggs and toast.  I am not very fussy when it comes to cooking for myself.

Posted: 25 July 2010 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
nararabbit - 25 July 2010 06:18 AM

My husband and I are newly married (1st anniversary in two weeks!) and still working out the food thing. I was raised in a southern family where my mom was (and still is) an amazing cook who made dinner for us every night (she worked FT too.) I’ve struggled with that vs my husband, who loves to eat but is equally happy with homemade lasagna or a bowl of cereal. It frustrated me for a while that he wasn’t more bowled over by having a hot meal every night - I mean, lots of guys would be totally jealous of that! smile

These days, I am working full-time with another part-time gig, plus trying to get a baking business off the ground eventually. I appreciate having someone who is so laid back. On days off and he has friends over, I make sure to cook for him/them so he can bask in the attention it gets him. Even pancakes, these guys are amazed. LOL!

I do cook for myself sometimes, especially spicy things he can’t eat (acid reflux) like hot curries and chili. He also hates eggs, so on mornings when I work early mornings and he’s asleep, I make a big plate of scrambled whites and veggies with some cheese and enjoy!

Happy Anniversary

Posted: 27 July 2010 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-07-25

Thank you for the anniversary well wishes everyone. smile Our bakery, Rosebud, makes you a fresh, matching tier for your anniversary, free of charge. So that’s what we’ll be having - our original wedding cake served 150ish and was four different flavors - white w/ whipped cream and strawberry, marble w/ chocolate ganache, lemon with summer berries and lemon curd, and banana with banana custard and chocolate ganache. smile  (See photo at link below.)

B&E’s 4 tier sunset colored mixed shape wedding cake

For our anniversary tier, I ordered the marble with chocolate and whipped cream, as my husband doesn’t love banana flavored things… I’m sure it will be amazing. smile

Posted: 27 July 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

What a beautiful cake and what wondeful flavors!!!  I just love how wonderful cake is about freezing and staying delicious.  It’s just one of those things that proves that cakes are the best of all possible worlds!  Especially Rose’s!!!

Posted: 04 August 2010 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

I just finished reading Judith Jones’ book The Pleasures of Cooking for One.  I read it in one evening.  The recipes are not for the non-adventurous eater.  She includes things like sweetbreads and veal tongue.  She definitely has some good ideas for buying a single cut of meat or fish and preparing it several ways so you are not eating leftovers.

Posted: 04 August 2010 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-04-22

yes, mostly simple foods.  Nothing too complicated.

Signature 

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.  ~Author Unknown

2 of 2