Tart pan recommendations
Posted: 06 May 2010 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I just ordered the PPB and I am going to need some tart pans.  ( I am slowly building my repetoire of different types of pans )  I have seen tin plated and non-stick during my searches and I have read conflicting opinions on which one is better for baking.  Also, is there a wide variety of manufacturers, ie - Gobel, Matfer, etc.  Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks so much

Posted: 06 May 2010 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I would think that non-stick for a tart pan is un-necessary.  Considering the amount of butter used in a pastry crust, I can’t imagine that anything would stick.  I find that things bake bater in a pan that isn’t “non stick”.  The only non-stick pans that I use are cupcake tins (and I usually have paper liners in them).

As far as brands go, I bought mine at Williams Sonoma, and I love them (but that store does tend to be very expensive)

Posted: 06 May 2010 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have read too that non stick is not nessessary for pastry crusts for the exact same reasons you posted.

Posted: 06 May 2010 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Agree with Bill that non stick in unnecessary. I’ve used both but I like my stainless steel pan, I have both the 10 inch and the little tartlets - both from William Sonoma. I never have issue with pastry sticking to the stainless pan. The 10 inch one is a bit big so I’ve been using an old non stick 5 inch one or the little tartlets.

The store is a bit expensive so you don’t necessarily have to buy from them. I’ve always asked for their giftcards for presents so it works out well for me smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 May 2010 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

Perhaps also consider your oven, if it runs cool or your crusts aren’t browned enough, then a darker (non-stick) pan might make sense, to give the crispest crust.  In PPB p.664, Rose recommends non-stick tart pans by Gobel, which I have and like a lot.  I bought mine here (better prices and bigger selection than WS):  http://www.bakedeco.com/dept.asp?id=33

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

‹‹ Food Mills      Aluminized Steel ››