Frustrated so I need to vent
Posted: 06 May 2010 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

so i recently moved into a new place (renting) and havent done much baking here yet. I did however, make a few things, and I noticed that my oven heat is off. I have an oven thermometer and it is off by 10 degrees, so I fix this by setting the temp 10 degrees higher, and waiting a good 15 minutes for the oven to preheat (even though it says its preheated after 2 minutes, which its not) and then its right on temp.

Now, i’ve noticed that the temp is NOT getting to temperature after a good 25 minutes! yesterday, i set it at 360 (for 350) and checked it after a good 20 minutes, and it was not even at 300!!! I am really frustrated, thinking how am i EVER going to bake anything right if I don’t know WHAT temperature will make the correct temperature AND stay at that correct temperature!?!

and now, my favorite TV channel (out of the 16 that I have) got switched to digital so now instead of baking I can’t even watch my channel!!  Now i have NO hobbies! GRRRR

Posted: 06 May 2010 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Oh no. So sorry to hear about all the problems Skii (do I call you Skii or Sweetness?).

My oven did the same thing last year, it wouldn’t go higher than 200-something, regardless how high the temperature setting is and how long I heat it up. $150 later (called the repair guy), replaced the metal heat thingy inside of it, it worked once and then broke again. Turned out it’s not fixable, so ended up having to get a brand new one.
Not sure if yours have the same issue but I understand it is frustrating.

Regarding the TV channel, sometimes there are episodes on line, you can check the channel’s website or there’s this website that I use:
http://www.hulu.com
They post episodes online. I think it’s a safe website to use, I believe I got it from one of the online news channel. Hulu.com run commercials too (but shorter in length) so I guess that’s how they make their money.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 May 2010 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Hi SweetNess, good morning to you!

I am so sorry to hear about your oven misbehaving and your channel on top of that! I’m glad you chose to vent to us! My oven does something very similar, and is only a year old! Ever since I got my first oven thermometer, I was shocked to find out it wasn’t even close to being preheated when it beeped indicating such, and learned mine also takes an additional 10-15 minutes to become ready. Mine is also always off (low) by 10-20 degrees, and it fluctuates so I have to baby sit it when I am making cakes and bread, and tweak the settings as things are baking which sometimes really messes up my cake tops =( 

Hang in there and if you can afford it, get a new oven asap! Life is too short to fuss with naughty electronics!  tongue laugh

<3 Jemoiselle

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 06 May 2010 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

If it makes you feel any better…my oven is off all the time too…although apparently not as bad as yours…and it’s a VIKING!  And I spent way too much money on it.

By the way…I’m crabby today too.  Just crabby.  Not over anything particular…but I’m really really CRABBY

Posted: 06 May 2010 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

i dont own this oven so its not like i could fix it myself (or buy a new one) because trust me I would!
I rent so if I complained to managmenet they probably would say “deal with it” becuase frankly…how many tenants actually use an oven thermometer?

Bill, I am crabby too…maybe its the weather lol. (well your weather is nicer than mine!)

Posted: 06 May 2010 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Well my cheap stove is 20 degrees celsius off (some 68F too low) - it seems fairly constant though - although I am told that power here (if you measure it with a meter) fluctuates. It took 3 thermometers and lots of baking to solve this one!

Posted: 06 May 2010 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Our weather is beautiful today (so my patients are telling me) (Where are you?)  but I am working all day in a clinic with NO WINDOWS It could be a blizzard outside for all I know.

Posted: 06 May 2010 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

im i upstate ny lol, its about 60 today

Posted: 06 May 2010 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

Do you have any idea how old the appliance is?  Are there any instruction manuals in the place (I know better, they probably don’t have them, but had to ask anyway!)?

You might mention to management that you’ve noticed the oven thermostat is malfunctioning and causing problems with what you’re cooking in the oven and you’re hoping it’s still under warranty (wishful thinking I know but sounds nice).  If it’s not, then inquire about how old it is and see what they say.  I had a Magic Chef brand gas oven that had problems like that for a few weeks (it worked fine for days, then didn’t heat right; then it was fine for another few days and then it would happen more frequently and then finally it stopped altogether.  It took about three weeks to finally conk out and it was about 7 or 8 years old at the time.

Vent away!  We all need someone to listen to us, even if it’s a virtual vent! smile

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 06 May 2010 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-17

If it is a newer oven with a digital display, you might be able to correct the oven temperature. Look in the manual and it should give instructions on how to re calibrate the temperature. My oven at our cottage was running cool and I was able to up the temperature by using the digital display.
Good Luck,

Jan

Posted: 07 May 2010 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, sorry to hear about your oven and digital access! 

Yes, to what Jeanette said, your oven may be about to break.  When mine broke six months ago, it took longer to preheat, then ran cool for a few projects before finally breaking altogether.  Aren’t you glad you use a thermometer, so you’re not just ending up with failed projects and no idea why?  If it does break altogether, then your landlord will have to replace it, right?

Bill, you are too funny!  Hope you’re having a less crabby Friday. :)

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 07 May 2010 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Ski - I’d talk to the landlord and ask them to fix it…. I think that so few people actually use their kitchen aside from the microwave that they never notice. My ex-roommates used to store things in the oven. Which I found out after I turned it on and almost set the kitchen on fire!

And you’re not the only one - last December we were making cookies at a friend’s (rental) house when her oven gave out…. We had lots of macaroons at the end, since that was the only thing the oven was able to do….

Hope things are better today!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 07 May 2010 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

i didnt think about re calibrating…...it is digital so i am going to see if i can find a manual online or something..
I am making a pulled pork today, w hich is a 250 temp, and it seems to be find at 260. Its been on it all day…
maybe its just the higher temp thing. I dont know if thats even possible.