Not Show Pieces! Strawberry Pie, She Loves Me, and Lemon Poppyseed
Posted: 06 May 2010 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

I know this is supposed to be for your “best successes,” but is posting “best efforts” okay, too?  My cakes are definitely the work of a novice, but I figured maybe it would give everyone a chuckle, and sometimes seeing other people’s so-so looking cakes (i.e., those would be mine!) makes you realize how beautiful your own are!  I went on a baking binge last week and also got in my copy of Rose’s Pie and Pastry Bible! So, a pie and two cakes…

1) Open Faced Double Strawberry Pie - This was delicious and the prettiest of the bunch! I used my EH ceramic plate which is too big for this recipe, but the only ones I have, but no one minded a little extra crust. The pie was gone in one night, so I made another and invited the in-laws and my aunts over for the second one.  First pie, it kind of ran all over the plate when I cut into it (not that we minded), so in my second attempt I cooled the strawberry filling more thoroughly and even stuck the whole pie in the fridge for a little bit before cutting.  I’m still getting the hang of working with the pie crust in the Ziploc bag (wish there was a video of this being done somewhere), but I can clearly see the improved flakiness over the America’s Test Kitchen recipe/method I’d been using before.  And I like using all butter—fewer ingredients!  I used the regular pie crust recipe, but I noticed that Rose now recommends substituting heavy cream for the water in the cream cheese recipe.  Would it make sense to substitue heavy cream for the water in the regular crust recipe as well?

2) Lemon Poppyseed Cake - I know this one is a rite of passage for all Heavenly Cake fans and old news, but it was so yummy and easy to make I thought I’d post it anyway!  Guess I could have prettied it up with some powdered sugar, but it’s so good as is!  I made one a few weeks ago and then made another to give to my friend for her birthday.

3) She Loves Me Cake - Okay, so I probably don’t need to tell you—this is the first time I’ve worked with royal icing, and I need A LOT of practice, heehee.  I thought they were still somewhat recognizable as flowers, and since it was just family eating it I figured I could practice.  It was much prettier before my decorating attempts, though!  The lemon curd and blueberry filling was gorgeous, at least.  I overcooked my lemon curd again (2nd time making it), thought I saw 196 degrees somewhere but it didn’t need to get that hot.  Took forever since I was paranoid it would boil - next time I will heed Shirley C’s advice who recommends taking it off the heat when it is medium/heavy cream consistency since it definitely keeps thickening.  I thinned it out with some milk and it worked fine.  I made two versions of royal icing, a thicker one for outlining and a thinner one for flooding, not that you can tell the difference in mine!  I think I need a smaller tip (I was using squeeze bottles) and also thicker icing for the piping.  If anyone has any tips on using royal icing, much appreciated!  This kind was from the meringue powder mix.

Finally, I somewhat overbaked this cake.  Went out and invested in the cute dasiy pan, baked at 325 since it is a dark pan, but my oven was running about 25 degrees hotter and I didn’t bother to cool it down before I put the cake in.  It was already pulling back from the sides of the pan at 40 minutes, but the middle wasn’t springing back so…I baked it another 3 minutes.  A mistake, I think.  So, the flavor was good but it was a little dry…the lemon curd and blueberries saved it!

Image Attachments
May 5, 2010 007.jpgMay 5, 2010 018.jpgMay 5, 2010 032.jpgMay 5, 2010 034.jpg

Posted: 07 May 2010 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Loopy, these all look so beautiful! I don’t know what you’re talking about calling yourself a novice, you need to stop! I would love a slice of all three! Re: pie crust, use latex gloves instead of the plastic bag. It is much easier and Rose’s update on that method. Also, about the cream, I think you have to use a different type of flour for the regular crust—there are details on this in the PPB, with several “liquid” variations, such as yogurt and buttermilk.

Posted: 07 May 2010 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Loopy, I agree with Matthew. They are all beautiful, and look delicious! You know what, you’ve got my hat off for trying so many of her masterpieces in such a short time! You have the makings of a legendary decorator, a person with the motivation to TRY and with gusto! That is the secret; passion, a willingness to learn, and bravery enough to try no matter what happens! Seriously, good job. I would be proud to have you for a neighbor (and most likely, not a size 2 anymore lol)

See you on the boards, and don’t let us catch you calling yourself a sloppy novice again. Cakery and the like are works of love, labor and art. Anybody who cannot see that in your work needs to go fetch themselves some betty crocker boxes and call it a night! LOL

Jemoiselle

ETA: Use a small piping tip (#1-2) on a pastry/piping bag for your outlining, and let it set some before flooding. Use a thicker RI for outlining! I am not a RI expert by ANY means but am a great eavesdropper lol.

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 07 May 2010 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

Loopy, nice work!  I’d be thrilled with a slice of any of those.  I agree with Matthew and Jessie, you’re no longer a novice.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 07 May 2010 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Great, Loopy! I so would like to have a bit of the daisy cake right now. I love Lemon Curd. And everything else lemony! Keep on baking, and keep on posting!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 07 May 2010 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

Awww, thank you guys for the kind words.  The encouragement is great, since basically the biggest consumers of my work are me and my 2 1/2 year old twin girls : )  My hubby is thin as a rail and eats more for subsistence than pleasure (you know what they say about opposites attracting!), so he eats a little but not a ton.  I have always enjoyed casual baking and used to do more before the girls were born…you know how that goes!...but Rose’s book inspired me to pick it up again.  I’ve learned so much already just from reading her book and trying a few of the cakes, and also from reading all the posts here and the blogs.  It is rewarding to try a new technique and get better at it, even if it takes a few times.  Was laid off from work about a year ago, decided to take some time off to spend with the girls, but will have to go back to work eventually.  In the meantime, I am loving seeing the girls develop and as they have gotten older, am really enjoying the time to do some baking and pie making.  Rose’s HC book was really the inspiration for me, though!!  Am really looking forward to trying more bakes and learning as I go….thank you again for the smiles!!!

Posted: 07 May 2010 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Loopy, thx for sharing.  there isn’t biggest joy than seeing success been shared.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 15 December 2010 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-09-01
Loopy - 07 May 2010 02:08 AM

I know this is supposed to be for your “best successes,” but is posting “best efforts” okay, too?  My cakes are definitely the work of a novice, but I figured maybe it would give everyone a chuckle, and sometimes seeing other people’s so-so looking cakes (i.e., those would be mine!) makes you realize how beautiful your own are!  I went on a baking binge last week and also got in my copy of Rose’s Pie and Pastry Bible! So, a pie and two cakes…

2) Lemon Poppyseed Cake - I know this one is a rite of passage for all Heavenly Cake fans and old news, but it was so yummy and easy to make I thought I’d post it anyway!  Guess I could have prettied it up with some powdered sugar, but it’s so good as is!  I made one a few weeks ago and then made another to give to my friend for her birthday.

Hi,
I hope you are still around. Beginner here too!
I made or attempted to make #2 and will be posting my results soon, but may I ask what cake flour you used? I used King Arthur Cake Flour and have read mixed reviews on it.
Thanks,
Karen in Austin

Signature 

Karen in Austin, Texas USA

Posted: 17 December 2010 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Hi Karen,

Perhaps Loopy will chime in when she sees this, but in the meantime, I can report that I’ve had excellent results with King Arthur’s Queen Guenivere cake flour, the bleached one.  I have not tried KA unbleached cake flour, as it is unbleached flour plus conrstarch, which Rose says doesn’t always produce the best result with cakes made from softened butter (like the Lemon Poppyseed).

Signature 

Posted: 17 December 2010 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-09-01

Hi Julie,

I live in Texas and I am dying from “Cedar Fever” right now and that is why I have not posted my specs and image.

My cake was only 2 1/4” high so I would say the KA “cake” flour was not the flour to use. Thanks for the tip on the
flour.

I am afraid I am really feeling bad, but as soon as I can I will post all my specs, questions and image. (-:

Thank again and I will be back. So you think I should post under this thread or start a new one?

Karen in Austin

Signature 

Karen in Austin, Texas USA

Posted: 17 December 2010 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well, hope you are on the mend soon.  If you decide to post, a new thread would be nice, but either way works. smile

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2010 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi Karen - I’m still around, but had to go back to work and just returned from 10 days in India, so have been AWOL!  I use Soft-as-silk cake flour, just sifted and then weighed.  Hope you are feeling better soon and look forward to seeing your results!!!  Best, Loopy