First Communion Cake
Posted: 09 May 2010 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-04-06

I made this cake for someone’s sons’ first communion.  The decoration inspiration was from the Pink Cake Box Bakery (her cakes are amazing; I definitely recommend visiting their website).  I used white velvet butter cake from TCB, filled with homemade strawberry jam and vanilla mousseline.  I covered the cake in fondant and made the decorations out of fondant.  It was so much fun.  I had some issues with the cupcakes and getting the right amount of batter so I need to figure out what size cupcake pan I should be using.  I used Rose’s suggestion in TCB to make yellow butter and chocolate butter cupcakes, but I got a lot more than 9 per batch of batter.

Image Attachments
DSC_0738 (800x532).jpgDSC_0739 (800x532).jpgDSC_0743 (800x532).jpg

Posted: 09 May 2010 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Very beautiful and very impressive!! Congratulations to you and the young ones!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 09 May 2010 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

Is the vanilla mousseline a good replacement for the powdered sugar/shortening frostings you commonly encounter?  By “good replacement” I mean will the flavor seem familiar to those who are used to the common white frostings, but better, or will it seem to be a completely different frosting?  I don’t think Rose provides a vanilla variation of any of her buttercreams (wonder why?).  How much vanilla did you use and was that the only change?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 10 May 2010 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

cm, what a lovely cake!  Very beautifully done.

I think TCB says that half a recipe makes 9 cupcakes (p. 164), so a full recipe makes 18. 

Charles, Rose has vanilla mousseline in RHC.  When I make it, I use 1-4 tsp per 4.5 cup batch, with the strength depending on what I’m pairing it with (i.e., chocolate cake needs more vanilla than white cake).  Personally, I like the mousseline variations with liqueur better than with just extract, but I’ve gotten a lot of compliments on vanilla mousseline, especially from kids.

As to whether it’s a good replacement for powdered sugar frostings, it will be more buttery and far less sweet, which to me seems a vast improvement.  smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 10 May 2010 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-06
CharlesT - 10 May 2010 02:30 AM

Is the vanilla mousseline a good replacement for the powdered sugar/shortening frostings you commonly encounter?  By “good replacement” I mean will the flavor seem familiar to those who are used to the common white frostings, but better, or will it seem to be a completely different frosting?  I don’t think Rose provides a vanilla variation of any of her buttercreams (wonder why?).  How much vanilla did you use and was that the only change?

Charles, I used Rose’s basic mousseline recipe and added some vanilla extract to taste.  I usually prefer liqueur, but since this was a cake/cupcakes for children, I decided to keep it simple.  After making Rose’s butter creams, I will never go back to powdered sugar/shortening frosting again.  The mousseline is so light, with a hint of sweet, that it really accents the butter cakes I have made.  I added somewhere between 1 and 2 tsp of vanilla.

I did half the cupcake recipe as directed in TCB, but still had issues with too much batter and with the cupcake liners pulling away from the cupcake.  I’ll have to keep using trial and error until I get it right.  I’m sure my children and co-workers will not complain smile

Posted: 10 May 2010 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Wow! I look at the photos submitted by “newbies”, and think many of them should get an elevated rank. You may be a newbie to this forum, but obviously not to cake baking.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 10 May 2010 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 10 May 2010 11:41 AM

As to whether it?s a good replacement for powdered sugar frostings, it will be more buttery and far less sweet, which to me seems a vast improvement.

I quite agree, but I was concerned about the “strangeness” factor when the taste of something differs so greatly from what one was expecting.  That’s part of the reason that I’ve avoided the white chocolate frostings.  The rest of the reason is that I don’t care much for white chocolate. wink

But, as you say, the kids like it, and that was the main area of concern I had.  I’ll have to give it a try.

Thanks

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 10 May 2010 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
cm874 - 10 May 2010 02:20 PM

I used Rose?s basic mousseline recipe and added some vanilla extract to taste.  I usually prefer liqueur, but since this was a cake/cupcakes for children, I decided to keep it simple.

If you’d had your druthers, what liqueur would you have added if you were frosting, say, a chocolate cupcake?  (And is the very small amount of liqueur really a problem for children, ignoring the hysteria of the parents?  Aren’t children in Europe provided watered down wine?)

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 10 May 2010 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Awesome job! I love working with fondant, but have wondered how it would do with Rose’s Mousseline! You have now answered that question, and with a lovely work of art I know was well received. Great work and welcome! How did the fondant hold up with the mousseline base as the hours went on? I have to second the fascination with Pink Cake Box cakes! They are truly my cake idols when it comes to fondant works, anyhow.

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 10 May 2010 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-06
Jemoiselle - 10 May 2010 08:30 PM

Awesome job! I love working with fondant, but have wondered how it would do with Rose’s Mousseline! You have now answered that question, and with a lovely work of art I know was well received. Great work and welcome! How did the fondant hold up with the mousseline base as the hours went on? I have to second the fascination with Pink Cake Box cakes! They are truly my cake idols when it comes to fondant works, anyhow.

I did some research on this forum before I got started with the mousseline under fondant, there are so many experts, this is now my only place to go for cake advice!  The night before I decorated, I lightly frosted the cake with the mousseline and left it in the fridge tightly sealed in a cake carrier until I was ready to apply the fondant.  What a difference!  I was able to smooth and “primp” the cake to my hearts content.  I left the cake out overnight after decorating and when it was picked up on Friday it was holding its shape without any signs of distress.  It was also unusually cold this past weekend, so I think that helped also.  Thanks for the compliments!  This is starting to become my free time obsession! I have to admit though, I am still using the marshmallow based fondant.  I really like how pliable it is and the taste isn’t anything like the prepackaged stuff.  I am going to experiment and hopefully always use Rose’s recipe from that point on, but that will have to wait until I am off for the summer.  (the joys of teaching!)

Charles T- I think I would use orange liqueur, as I am on a chocolate/orange kick right now and it sounds just delightful.  I don’t think it would be a big issue for the parents, but I wasn’t sure if the children would appreciate the “fanciness” of it, so good ‘ol vanilla was my flavor of choice.

Posted: 10 May 2010 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-06
Kathleen - 10 May 2010 02:40 PM

Wow! I look at the photos submitted by “newbies”, and think many of them should get an elevated rank. You may be a newbie to this forum, but obviously not to cake baking.

Thank you for the kind words!

Posted: 10 May 2010 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Your fondant looks picture perfect!  What was the taste report on the cake?  Did you get to sample any of it??

Posted: 10 May 2010 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-06
Loopy - 10 May 2010 10:41 PM

Your fondant looks picture perfect!  What was the taste report on the cake?  Did you get to sample any of it??

They told me it tasted as good as it looked.  I didn’t get to have any, but I did have some extra butter cream and cupcakes, so I had some of that.

Posted: 10 May 2010 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
CharlesT - 10 May 2010 05:42 PM

If you’d had your druthers, what liqueur would you have added if you were frosting, say, a chocolate cupcake?  (And is the very small amount of liqueur really a problem for children, ignoring the hysteria of the parents?  Aren’t children in Europe provided watered down wine?)

Depends on which chocolate cake recipe.  Probably Grand Marnier, followed closely by Frangelico.  But I wouldn’t serve Grand Marnier to kids, I don’t think they’d go for it.  Kids might like vanilla or chocolate mousseline, or the milk chocolate buttercream from the Cake Bible (sweeter from the milk chocolate).  Or maybe the mousseline with strawberry puree. 

As for the liqueur/kids question, perhaps ask a couple of the parents and see what they say before you spring it on them.  Personally, I’ve never planned to serve cakes with liqueur to kids, partly because I didn’t want to deal with the backlash from parents, but also because many liqueurs just aren’t flavors the kids would be likely to want.  There have been one or two times where someone stopped by and there was cake in the house, which I offered up, being careful to let the parents know how much rum was in the syrup.  One parent said great, maybe they’ll sleep tonight, the other declined on the grounds that the kids had already had sugar that day.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 11 May 2010 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Great job. It’s so neat. I love the colour.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 16 June 2010 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Lovely cake, great shade!