Making a rainbow cake
Posted: 11 May 2010 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-04-06

http://amerrierworld.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/rainbow-cake-and-unicorns/

I was asked today to make a birthday cake for a 13 year old that likes peace signs and tie dye.  Delivery would be this Sunday.  I immediately thought of this cake (link above) to represent the tie dye. 

A couple of questions for the experts out there…
1) I want to use Rose’s all-occasion downy yellow cake.  Would the batter be compromised by adding Wilton’s gel food coloring to get the rich colors?
2) What flavoring should be added to mousseline to compliment this type of cake? 

For decorations, I was thinking of a brightly colored fondant with tie dyed accents.  Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: 11 May 2010 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

cm, sounds like a great cake, I’ve always wanted to make one ever since kate posted hers. 

I think a white cake would be a better base for the food coloring, yellow will mix with the blue to make green, etc.  Also, I think Kate says that the batter needs to be fairly liquid, not sure which of Rose’s recipes are the thinnest, but in general hers are thicker batters.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 15 September 2010 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10
cm874 - 11 May 2010 04:58 PM

A couple of questions for the experts out there…
1) I want to use Rose’s all-occasion downy yellow cake.  Would the batter be compromised by adding Wilton’s gel food coloring to get the rich colors?

I was wondering if anyone had any answers/experience with this question.  I need to make a type of birthday cake as well with gel coloring.