1 of 2
RHC Black Chocolate Party Cake
Posted: 13 May 2010 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

This version is made with pecans and bourbon instead of walnuts and Kahlua, it was delicious!  This was a 2/3 recipe made in my little (6-cup) bundt pan. 

I “borrowed” Hector’s presentation of the Golden Lemon Almond Cake, in which he decorated with swirls of white chocolate buttercream for Luca’s birthday.  And the pecans on top were because I was taking it to a group, and I always try to decorate with nuts if there are nuts in the cake in case anyone has allergies.  The pecans also protected the buttercream from being smushed by plastic wrap during transport.  The buttercream swirls are leftover mousseline flavored with bourbon and vanilla- also delicious.  I’m wondering what else I could use the bc on…

Image Attachments
Pecan black choc cake (2).jpgPecan BCPC slice.jpg
 Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 13 May 2010 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

That looks lovely, Julie, any chance of a piece? smile

Posted: 13 May 2010 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Really cute smile I also made this in a smaller size, and I thought it was one of the best chocolate cakes I have had in a while.

Posted: 13 May 2010 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

That look wonderful.  And, what a great idea to put the nuts on a swirl of buttercream.  Also, good timing, I have already toasted some walnuts to make this cake today or tomorrow.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 13 May 2010 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Very cute and I love the presentation.  I need to get a little bundt pan like this.  I always complain that I have no room in my kitchen for even one more toy…but I think I’m going to break down and buy one.

Posted: 13 May 2010 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 13 May 2010 06:35 PM

I?m wondering what else I could use the bc on?

A spoon?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 13 May 2010 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

LOLOL

Posted: 13 May 2010 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25
Bill - 13 May 2010 08:30 PM

I always complain that I have no room in my kitchen for even one more toy…but I think I’m going to break down and buy one.

LOL - that’s what I was thinking! I just managed to put all my baking stuff back in the new kitchen and I just have A LOT of pans… But a tiny little Bundt pan can’t hurt, can it?

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 13 May 2010 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

I will find room for it somewhere.  Something may have to go to make room for it…we will see.  I keep a lot of baking knick knacks in my stock pot.  perhaps it will fit in there with the food coloring, pastry bag tips, couplers, and all the other crap I need LOL

Posted: 13 May 2010 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I like the half size one from Nordic Ware—kind of like making the 7’’ half size of the layer cakes, but for bundt cakes.

Posted: 13 May 2010 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

That looks so nice and moist!  How did you like it, especially compared with the other chocolate cakes in RHC?

Posted: 13 May 2010 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Great presentation Julie! I love the 6 cup Bundt pan. I use it all the time.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 May 2010 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Jeannette, there’s a piece in my fridge with your name on it smile .

Matthew and Cynthia Renee, thanks so much!  I like this cake, too, it’s the first one from RHC that I’ve made more than once (made it the first time when Rose posted the blad).  I hope you both have/take pictures and post them. 

Bill, I love this size pan, nearly any recipe bakes well in it, from pound cake to layer cake to brioche to genoise, and the smaller size is perfect for most of my needs.  I wish, wish, wish there were more style choices available in this size- I would love it if Nordicware would make a 6 cup Bavaria.

Charles, very funny!

Loopy and Rozanne, you’re very kind!  Loopy, each of the RHC chocolate cakes seems to have a very distinct character.  This one is mellow and complex, with the flavor being enhanced by the toasted nuts and the syrup.  The deep chocolate passion is pure chocolate (no nuts or brown sugar), intense yet mellow with milk/cream in the syrup.  The Devil’s food is darkest and slightly edgy/bittersweet, a dark chocolate lover’s cake. 

Rozanne, the credit for the presentation goes to Hector:  http://myyellowkitchen.wordpress.com/2010/04/22/golden-05-lemon-almond-cake-page-37-hilo-take/

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2010 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

A postscript:

I took the last piece of this cake and did a taste test with various liqueurs, cutting it up into pieces and dribbling 1/4 tsp liqueur on each piece.  I tried bourbon, cognac, Kahlua, dark rum, Gr. Marnier and Frangelico.  My favorite?  Frangelico, with dark rum and Kahlua tied for second place.  I like to pair the Domingo cake with hazelnut mousseline, so maybe it’s not so surprising that I have similar preferences for this cake.

Gives me all sorts of ideas for future versions (hazelnut, hazelnut, hazelnut!)  grin

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2010 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

yum it looks delicious!!!

Posted: 14 May 2010 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

How’s your hangover today Julie smile