Flour Question
Posted: 13 May 2010 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I want to make some pizza dough (a recipe thats not roses-yikes!) anyways, it calls for unbleached all purpose flour.
I looked in my kitchen and all I have is unbleached BREAD flour. Can I use this bread flour in place of all purpose??  Of course, I do have BLEACHED all purpose as well…

(sorry, no bread bible on hand)

Posted: 13 May 2010 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

You can use it, but I think you may have more trouble stretching it out than normal. You’ll probably find it will want to shrink back more than the lower protein flour, so it may just be a little harder to work with, but should still be okay. Also, will probably be chewier when baked. When you make the dough, just barely mix it until the flour is moistened—don’t make it into a smooth dough. It will form itself over night in the fridge.

Posted: 14 May 2010 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

For what it’s worth I always use Strong Bread Flour for making my pizzas and I make them every week.

Posted: 14 May 2010 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

You may also need a little more water with 100% bread flour.  You could consider using half bleached and half bread to mimic the protein level of unbleached.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 14 May 2010 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

id really dont want to have to fight making dough lol…..so maybe ill just make something else that calls for bread flour lol.

now, i have to rethink my dinner plans for tonight ha!

Posted: 14 May 2010 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh, didn’t mean to discourage you from trying it! Just wanted to tell you to be careful of overworking the gluten as even with the regular UAP flour, you have to fight sometimes to get it stretched fully.

Posted: 14 May 2010 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

haha no problem, i actually found another recipe….so the dough is sitting now, but its not rising!! isn’t dough supposed to rise?!

Posted: 14 May 2010 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-18

SWEETNESS 14445:
  Good afternoon. When mixing yeasted lean bread dough & you have completed this task it takes a full 20/25 minutes rest period before the mixed properties begin to do it’s thing. (Ferment & rise). However as you know it all depends if you in mixing you mixed properly such as did you use enough yeast did you develop the gluten???. In any event keep us posted if you have further inquires we are here to help’

Good luck to you from Las Vegas, NV. & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 14 May 2010 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

um not sure. i Followed the recipe, it said to mix yeast/water and let sit for 10 minutes. Thats what I did. Then i mixed everything together, kneaded it and then sat it to let rise. Thats where it went wrong lol

Posted: 14 May 2010 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Hi Ski,
I think you will be alright. It sounds like the yeast is being slow. There are a lot of reasons why that can happen. Fortunately you have plenty of time for it to catch up by dinner tonight.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 14 May 2010 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-18

SWEETNESS:
  If you have time post the recipe & we then can assist you in the proper mixing technique. Also post if you are using a mixer,& any substitutions you would like to make…we can help you with that as well.Till then have a nice day my friend.

~FRESHKID.