Sugar Cookie Woes
Posted: 18 May 2010 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-09-07

I’ve been looking for a sugar cookie recipe that results in soft and fluffy cookies.  I have good recipes for sugar cookies to roll out and decorate but, I just want a recipe for big, soft, fluffy sugar covered cookies. 

I’ve browsed Epicurious.com but most of the recipes are for ‘chewy’ cookies.  If I understand what chewy means, then it’s not what I’m looking for in this sugar cookie.

If anyone has something to share or recommend I would be very appreciative!  Thanks!

Posted: 19 May 2010 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-01-22

Try making an old fashioned tea cake recipe.  Scott Peacock and Edna Lewis have a cookbook called The Gift of Southern Cooking which has a good one.  I chill the dough because it is very soft and then I scoop it and pat it into a cookie instead of rolling them out.  I think they are very good.  While you’re at it make their very good chocolate cake.  It is wonderful.

Posted: 19 May 2010 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

There is a “cookie” that is very popular here in NY called a “black and white”  (It is iced half in vanilla frosting, and half in chocolate).  The “cookie” portion though, without the icing, is sort of like half way between a cookie and a cake.  You mix up a batter and you spoon it in dollops in a cookie sheet and it bakes up into a cake-like cookie…that you can ice, or put sugar on, or what ever works for you.  Does this sound like what you are looking for?  I do have a recipe somewhere that I can look for if this is what you think you might want.

Posted: 19 May 2010 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-07

Bill & Patty K,
Thank you both so much for responding. 

Patty K-I will try to locate a copy of The Gift of Southern Cooking so I can try the old fashioned tea cake recipe.

Bill-I had no idea that a black and white cookie was iced.  I would appreciate the recipe whenever you get a chance; I’m in no rush.

Thanks, Tara

Posted: 22 May 2010 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2010-05-21

hello,  i have a great sugar cookie recipe that has always worked, i just made 110 sugar cookies in the shape of palm tress and beach balls. They all turned out great. it is very simple, but i would recommend making one batch at a time, because you don’t want to break your mixer. 1 cup of butter soften, 1 cup of sugar, 1 large egg, 1 tsp of vanilla, 11/4 tsp of baking powder, and 3 cups of all purpose flour. blend sugar and butter together untill fluffy, add egg and vanilla, then all dry ingredients until blended, it almost resembles pie crust, at that point ,scoop it out and knead, i don’t chill it , but, chill for an hour.  roll out dough and make your shape with cookie cutter. line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, preheat oven and 350. bake at 350 for about 8-10 min just until it is slightly golden on the bottom. let stand in the pan for 5 min then transfer cookie to a cooling rack, once cooled completely you can decorate.
* you can use salted butter

Posted: 22 May 2010 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-09-07

Thanks Patricia123!

Posted: 23 May 2010 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2010-05-21

no problem, hope you like them!