Help!! Trying to make the Golden Butter Cream Cake and it’s failing
Posted: 19 May 2010 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-05-19

Hi everyone,

I live in a town where there is only 1 cake designer and she is expensive, so I thought I could do this. I’m trying out recipes to find my favorites.  I tried to make the Golden Butter Cream cake and followed everything exactly. I used Softasilk flour. Everything was weighed and temperature taken.  I wanted to only make 6” cakes for practice cakes and well the bottoms didn’t cook.  They rose really high and then fell flat.  I filled the pans 1/2 way, used Baker’s Joy and parchment.  What happened?  Tasted a small piece and it’s really good.

Posted: 19 May 2010 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

Hello, CC, and welcome! 

Is it possible that your leavening was off?  Either too much baking powder (you didn’t weigh that small amount, did you?) or perhaps grabbed the baking soda instead of powder?

By the way, this cake makes the world’s best strawberry shortcake.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 19 May 2010 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-19

Yep, I did weigh that small amount, just making sure everything was exact. I’m sure it was baking powder because I just bought it. The cake batter was very thick, is it suppose to be that way?

Thanks

Posted: 19 May 2010 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Chickadee,

I never weigh baking powder, baking soda or salt. The amounts are too small to guarantee an accurate weight every time. Good measuring spoons will give you an accurate measurement. Also, it is critical that baking powder be fresh—a lesson I learned the hard way when I was was a caterer, and prepared a dinner at a private home, using the hostess’s baking powder. The shortcakes did not rise at all. I checked the expiration date on the baking powder. It was two years past date. From then on, I took my own baking powder with me.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 19 May 2010 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I agree…small amounts of solids should be measured in spoons unless you have a scale that is of scientific reasearch quality.  Another thought is your oven temperature…if the oven is too cool, the cake doesn’t set properly in the innital portion of the baking and sinks down on cooling.

I love this cake, but find it a little difficult to work with when it comes to decorating…It is soft and tender, and doesn’t always unmold perfectly.

Posted: 19 May 2010 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-19

Thank you, I will not use my scale to measure small things. Do you think that is what caused my cake to fall or do you have to adjust the amount of baking powder for smaller pans. The recipe called for a 9” but I only wanted a 6”.  What cake is best for children’s birthday cakes and I live in Arizona so it’s hot and the cakes are for a party outside but in the shade?  The baking powder was fresh.

Thank you

Posted: 19 May 2010 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

As you go to larger and larger pans, you usually need less baking powder, because the added lift of the baking powder, weakens the structure of the cake and it tends to fall.  there is a lot of information about this in the cake bible.  I would think that a recipe for a 9” cake would do OK in a 6” pan, if you fill the pan half way. (Typically you would have a little more baking powder for the smaller pan…but I don’t think it would be a problem if the baking powder was the same…but be sure your oven temperature is right.

As far as frostings go…Mousseline buttercream probably holds up the best at warmer temperatures.

Posted: 19 May 2010 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27
chickadee cakes - 19 May 2010 06:11 PM

Thank you, I will not use my scale to measure small things. Do you think that is what caused my cake to fall

I weigh my baking powder and baking soda, but my scale is accurate to .01 grams.  Some scales only weigh to the nearest 5g and the potential error is enormous.  Even if your scale measures to the nearest gram, it’s accuracy is probably plus or minus 1 gram, so you could be off by 10-20%.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 19 May 2010 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

chickadee, I agree that weighing baking powder may have caused your cake to fall by being inaccurate and giving you too much.  Could also have been a problem if you filled the pan more than half full- a too full pan would cause the cake to collapse once it rose past the sides (no support from the pan).

Yes, the batter is very thick, most of Rose’s batters are on the thick side.

My favorite all-around cake is the sour cream butter cake, but I know many people like some of the others.

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 19 May 2010 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-03-13

I baked the Golden Cream Cake for the first time on Friday. It is now my FAVORITE cake from TCB. I doubled the recipe and made two 9” layers, and baked it 35 minutes. I had checked on it at 25 minutes and it definitely wasn’t done. I set the timer for 10 minutes, intending to check on it after 5 minutes. I got distracted and didn’t get to it until the timer went off. I was worried that I had over-baked the cakes since the edges started to pull away from the edges. I used Moussaline Buttercream with Grand Marnier, and then finished it with rolled fondant.

We first cut the cake on Saturday and finished it at work this afternoon. I kept it refrigerated, and it stayed very moist.

Maybe your problem was under-baking it.

Posted: 23 May 2010 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2010-05-21

hi everyone, i just baked the golden cream cake ( my first cake from the tcb) i actually made cupcakes, they came out perfect, the taste was great! i did find them a bit to fluffy for cupcakes. i just got RHC today and i haven’t looked at the cupcake recipe to see if there is a difference, but i am going to definitly make this again as a cake. does anyone know what the best recipe is for the basic cake that would go with anything from either book?
thanxs