1 of 2
Mini B-day cake
Posted: 19 May 2010 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I had a birthday cake to make last night…and it was sort of a last minute thing.  I was invited to a friend’s house for dinner, and it happens to be his birthday, and there are only going to be three people there…so I thought I’d make a little cake.  Here’s the thing…almost no ingredients in the house.  I had less than two sticks of butter, I had some sugar, all purpose flour, sour cream, a little cocoa powder…some chocolate, but just scraps, and little bits of everything.  I had one egg, and two egg whites left over in a container. (I really need to do some shopping LOL).  Anyway, I thumbed through the cake bible to see what I could come up with to make this work.

Anyway, I did one 7” layer of the all american chocolate butter cake.  I split the layer and filled it with chocolate sour cream ganache, iced it with 1/4 recipe of white chocolate mousseline, and piped the decoration with a little of the left over ganache.  What will it taste like, with these two frostings?  I’ll let you know when I taste it…LOL.  I also must confess, that the cake baked up kind of short…so splitting it and filling it with ganache is sort of making a cake that is more icing than cake.  Not necessarily a bad thing as far as I’m concerned.

Image Attachments
jeff's cake.jpg

Posted: 19 May 2010 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Really cute cake Bill!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 May 2010 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

I think ANYONE would be pleased to have a cake like that presented to them on their birthday!  How lovely!

Posted: 19 May 2010 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2010-05-05

What a lovely cake!  I’m sure your friend appreciated not only the cake, but the thought and the love that went into it!

Signature 

http://www.sugarcoatedbliss.com

Posted: 19 May 2010 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

I absolutely love your creativity and resourcesfulness in coming up with something to bake with limited amounts on hand.  It is one of the things you all have taught me through this forum.  Nothing has to go to waste.  Such a pretty cake as usual for you.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 19 May 2010 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Beautiful!  How wonderful…and so thoughtful, too!

Posted: 20 May 2010 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

It’s even cuter when small… like the others, I also love that you made something with what was available.  Sometimes I plan a project solely with the purpose of using up as many things in my freezer as possible.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 20 May 2010 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Well…the cake has been boxed up and in my fridge for the 24 hours…we are eating it tonight.  I’m a little concerned about the tang of the chocolate sourcream ganache mixing with the sweetness of the white chocolate mousseline…but we’ll see how it comes off.  I did find the sourcream ganache a little too bitter and very soft…so I added the last tiny bit of white chocolate that I had left over and it was perfect. 

I will report back tomorrow on the taste.  Thanks so much for all your compliments ... I’ve certainly made prettier cakes, but it was 3 AM when I took out the pastry bag…and well…it will have to do.

Posted: 20 May 2010 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

You are so creative and flexible. I know the cake is fabulous and that the recipient will be very happy!

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 20 May 2010 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

We just ate the cake.  It was a success!  The three of us ate nearly the whole thing!  Thanks for all your kind compliments

Posted: 20 May 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Well, you’ll surely be getting a better night’s sleep tonight than the night you baked—being all full of that beautiful and delicious cake!

Congratulations!  I’m sure your friends will remember this birthday with extra fondness!

Posted: 20 May 2010 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

What a lovely ending to a lovely story - a surprise birthday cake, friends gathering, and your own sense of personal happiness.  Sleep well.

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 21 May 2010 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Just a little footnote…a pic of the event!

Image Attachments
Rocco small.bmp

Posted: 21 May 2010 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

LOL And how did the dog like the cake?  cheese

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 21 May 2010 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Oh Bill that picture is too much! Very funny! And the cake is supercute. Great job in using up what you had instead of running out and getting something new. Don’t ask me how often I look on the page for egg yolk / egg white uses so that I can use up the leftovers I have!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 May 2010 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Rocco didn’t get any cake…his dad is very strict about the “no table food” rule LOL.  (Quite frankly, I don’t think he was interested).

1 of 2