Mousseline Flavoring
Posted: 20 May 2010 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2009-05-11

Hi, I want to try the mousseline buttercream, but all of Rose’s recipes in TCB and RHC call for liqueur such as Grand Marnier. I hate alcohol flavorings and also orange…is there a vanilla option? And if so, how much vanilla should I add—I assume not as much as the liqueur (which is 3 oz in TCB basic recipe). Any advice? Thanks!

Posted: 21 May 2010 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Vanilla extract gives the mousseline a beautiful flavor…2 to 3 teaspoons, depending on your taste…start with 2, see how you like it and you can gradually add more.  Another suggestion that I"d like to make, though, if you want something “Vanilla”  use the White chocolate variation.  It doesn’t really taste aggressively like white chocolate…really more like vanilla, and the added white chocolate, makes the buttercream even smoother and more luxurious.

Posted: 21 May 2010 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to everything Bill said!  Also, you may want to consider what you’ll pair it with, i.e., I would use more vanilla to pair it with a strongly flavored chocolate cake (probably around 1 tsp per cup of mousseline would be the maximum) and less if pairing it with something mild like a white cake.  Rose uses vanilla mousseline variations in RHC, the Miette’s Tomboy and the Whoopie Pie.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 21 May 2010 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I agree with Bill with the white chocolate mousseline variation.  I recently did a cake for a retirement party at my work and I got so many compliments about the buttercream.  Most people said it was the best buttercream they had ever tasted.  It is creamy and just melts in your mouth.  Definitely not too sweet with the white chocolate.  The white chocolate compliments the mousseline buttercream to a Tee.

‹‹ Fluted Tube Pan      Cake Suggestions... ››