Cakes Not Baking correctly, Help!!!!
Posted: 22 May 2010 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-05-22

I’ve have been using rose’s cake bible faithfully for years, and never had a problem. The last few cakes I have baked using the rose factor for the different size cake pans have been a mess. During my most recent disaster my cakes overflowed my pans completely and took an exceptionally long time to cook. Even though none of my guests for this cake seemed to notice, I noticed that the cakes were obviously overdone and dry. I double and triple checked the amounts of baking powder, as well as just recently checked that my oven temp is calibrated correctly. Any ideas?

Posted: 22 May 2010 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Hmmm, the overflowing batter that takes a long time to bake sounds like it could be too much batter in the pan, is that a possiblity?  Were the pans half or at most two-thirds full?

How did you check your oven?  Do you bake with an independent thermometer in it?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 23 May 2010 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-05-22

Yes, I bought an independent thermometer and put it in the oven to see what the actual temp was.

Posted: 25 May 2010 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

I find those independent thermometers vary tremendously. No two give the same temperature. I have three and all vary with the actual stove read out.
I am told that as they become older so the “accuracy” decreases - not that they were accurate in the first place.

Posted: 27 May 2010 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

Temperature: this is a problem to me.
Has anyone a good thermometer brand in mind?

Posted: 27 May 2010 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Chat to Hector on this site - I think he has been testing some new brands??? He has been very helpful.

Vanie of course the pro’s know their stoves and baking so well they hardly need them!

Posted: 27 May 2010 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

Chat to Hector on this site - I think he has been testing some new brands??? He has been very helpful.

I have no idea how to do this, Paul!
I’m pretty much new here, and I still don’t understand very well how everything works…
But, thank you, anyway!

Posted: 27 May 2010 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Vanie - You can email Hector on his website - http://www.myyellowkitchen.com Lots .of good info on equipment there too,

or go to search at the top of this forum type in Hector click on his name when a post he has made opens and your can PM him (private message).

His picture with birthday cake is on Rose’s blog just below

April Baker’s Dozen Event in San Francisco.