Rose’s Pineapple Upside down Cake
Posted: 23 May 2010 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09

Hello All

I want to make Rose’s Pineapple Upside-down cake in either a 9 x 1.5 inch or a 9 x 2 inch regular metal cake pan lined with parchment.  I have a skillet which is an inch and a half too small to substitute for the 11 inch silicon cake pan that she suggests in the recipe and frankly I would prefer to have straight sides.

Does anyone know how to adjust the recipe and/or the timing for either of the size cake pans I have?  The batter is very similar to the Golden Butter Cream Cake on page 34 of the cake bible.  That cake calls for a 9 x 2 cake pan or 9 inch spring form.  I wonder if it will just need to bake longer.

Thanks much

David

Posted: 23 May 2010 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Hi David,

The pineapple upside down in the Cake Bible (p. 92) calls for a 10” cast iron skillet or 10” springform- is that the recipe you’re wanting to make?  If so, this is the same base formula as the sour cream butter cake on p.35. 

I think the PUD recipe would probably work in a 9x2 round, you could mix the recipe as given and make the 9” cake plus a couple of PUD cupcakes.  Or, if you want to scale the recipe, you’ll need to multiply both the fruit topping ingredients and the cake ingredients by 0.81.  Either way, the cake may bake up with a slightly domed shape from the smaller pan.

Baking time- I would check it at 35” and go from there, baking longer if needed.

good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 30 May 2010 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09

Thanks much.  I was actually referring to the recipe in her latest book.  In any case I used a 9 inch pan and it came out fine.